Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

POR15 Chassis paint

millsn

Ordered some of this by mistake. I should have ordered the rust prevention paint - equally dopey buyers take note.

However, has anyone used the chassis paint and got any feedback as to their experiences with it. Why would you coat the rust prevent paint with it as suggested on their blurb?

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec TB's + cams. I like my engine

I need to buy some of this as it is now top of my winter job list.

I know I can get it from Frosts, but what is best to use as a top coat? and how many coats do i need to paint on?

Cheers

and sorry for the hijack

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003) here

As I understand it, POR 15 degrades in appearance but not performance in sunlight (so for bits that no-one sees you may not need to do much else to it).

I overcoated some components with normal matt black spray from Halfrauds (after having roughened the surface slightly with medium wet and dry) and it looked OK and seemed to last . A couple of fine coats was all that I used.

IIRC POR do a topcoat for POR15. Should be next to it in the POR catalogue. Theoretically, POR15 degrades with UV, however the chassis doesn't see much UV. If it's any helps, I applied POR15 about 3 years ago on my car and its still in place.

A WORD OF CAUTION

On the POR15 tin it notes that if you get the stuff on your hands, it will only come off with time. This assertion is absolutely correct. No amount of scrubbing got it off my hands and it took about 2 weeks for the last traces to disappear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1800 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*