Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help - dodgy electrics

SteveP

I am getting the following 'phenomenon' with my rear light clusters, and am hoping someone can tell me how to correct it.

Switch right indicator on -> both brake lights flash, indicator does not

Switch left indicator on -> indicator flashes normally

Switch right indicator on and press brake pedal -> flashing stops and brake lights come on

Switch left indicator on and press brake pedal -> all is working OK

All the front indicators / lights work OK, so I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the wiring specific to the offside rear cluster. Indeed, having waggled (technical I know) the wires a bit the indicator worked OK momentarily but then when I pressed the brake, it went back as described. Now, no matter how much waggling it stays bust

Any ideas (please, I've got to get the car legal for an event in a couple of weeks)

How do I go about diagnosing the problem?

As an aside, I changed the battery (and lead terminals) today since my old Torque Starter battery died and have replaced it with a Banner - car starts fine though

As always, your pearls of wisdom are greatly appreciated

SteveP

SteveP it's definately an earthing problem almost certainly on the Indicator, strpi the light fitting and clean up and tighten all contacts. You can get Electrical Grease which you can put on the contacts to stop the problem happening again (Vaseline will do if oyu can't find the real stuff!)