Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crashworthiness

Lucky Steve

JP, like you I have the seat set to the rear limit. I fitted the FIA bar the seat was a little more forward than before. You can get it to go back all the way but it takes a good push with your feet to squash the headrest foam aginst the cross bar.

Is it SUMMER yet? teeth.gif

I don't know too much about the dynamics of car accidents but I just thought it might be worth recording my belief that one of the reasons that Caterhams stand up reeasonably well to rear end shunts is their light weight.

Instead of the bodywork crumpling and pulping the fuel tank too dramatically they tend to be pushed down the road or spun out of the way.

This makes it even more important that when waiting to turn right off a main road you use the advanced driving technique of keeping your wheels pointing straight ahead rather than slightly turned right which would result in you being shunted into oncoming traffic. Having said that, if you're positioned correctly for turing right just to the left of the white line then any car hitting you from behind is likely to do so off centre and induce a spin into oncoming traffic. You can't win can you.

I'm so safety conscious when driving the Caterham, especially with family on board, that I probably wouldn't attempt such a turn in heavy traffic conditions but carry on a little to find a safe turning point and backtrack to the junction.

I'm beginning to sound like Hugh Noblett but the last thing we want to see on here is a sad posting about somebody.

The options for improved saftey are - ATL bag tank , which shouldnt split . Plumbed in fire extinguisher , high back seats or decent head rest on the roll bar , 6 point harnesses , honeycomb tank protection and emergency cut off .

I have found the inertia switches to be pretty unreliable - some switch off with little force ( kerbs on tracks etc ) and others need a realy good knock . Maybe worth checking your own ??? .

Dave

I went on a trip around the Caterham factory, hosted by Len Unwin & was asking him about crashworthyness. He said that on the whole the cars just get "pushed" out of the way. The problem comes when you get sandwiched between two objects.

Regarding foam to go around the roll bar, James Whiting has some on display, so I am sure he could post it across to you.

I have been runnning for a while, with FIA roll bar & leather seats but had taken the headrests off as it is easier to put the tonneau on with out them. Having read this post, they are going back on & if the car gets wet, so be it.

Geoff

That pushing out of the way means worse whiplash forces as the car accelerates rather than crumpling.

I have a 3rd / higher level brake light. A simple round dome red light with an uprated bulb tie wrapped / velcro'd on to the centre of the diagonal of the roll bar. Looks ok and works. Not sure if it has ever prevented anything....

Was hit in 1998 in a Honda so I know how it feels. The chap admitted to playing with the radio. It was at that time a national speed limit twisty road The A322 between Guildford and Bagshot. Only a 7 could maintain 60 along there and that was

risky due lack of extended vision.

A plonker drove off the road and into a wall on ice in 2000 and then the limit was lowered to 40. You would still hit the wall on ice at 40 of course.....