Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting Tillet/R500 seats to pre 1996 chassis

EFA

Anyone done this?

When fitting the channels under the floor, one of the front rivet holes sits on top of the 8mm hole for the std seat fitting on the crossmember just in front of the seats. Or it does on my car.... Can anyone confirm a way around this?

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Hi Arnie. Yes I've done this - but I didn't use the aluminium cross members to fix the seat.

Instead, I took the front-to-rear mounting straps from my original leather seats and had copies made by my local welding shop. These straps locate on the lateral chassis rails within the cockpit, in front of and behind the seat.

The R500 seat runners are spaced more widely apart than those on the original leather seats. So to make the holes on the new straps line up with the existing holes through the chassis, I had the new straps made up with a lateral piece welded on at each end, so that (when fitted to the R500 seat) the parts of the straps resting on the chassis rail cover the existing seat mounting holes. The existing chassis hole positions were simply drilled through these extensions. Hey presto, R500 seat fits without drilling any hit-and-miss holes through the floor. Sounds more difficult than it is. Cost £8. Adds a bit of weight though....

Regards

Allan

I did exactly the same as Allan - I thought I was groundbreaking! I hate the ali channel idea. Having a seat supported only by the floor skin (load spread or not) seems like plain bad engineering to me. The other bonus was that I can change between the leather and R500 seats by just undoing 4 bolts on each - quick and easy.

Why would you want the leather seats back in? I thought they might be more comfy for long journeys, but the R500s seem excellent. I can tell for sure after this weekend after a 500 mile round trip to the Isle of Man. The main reason though is cause then larger passengers (like my dad) can squeeze in again.

Ben

I should point out that I have had these seats in my car for around a year, and the loading of the drivers seat rear mount next to the transmission tunnel has caused the carbon floor of my car to crack slightly around the rivet heads. So fitting the channels is a remedial task.

Anyway to cut a long story short I hyave now fitted the channels on the drivers side and will be tackling the pass side tomorrow night.

Of course I have alsoe resorted to those most essential of tools for this kind of job; the air rivet gun. Cooooool Toy!

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>