Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

X/flow re-torqueing cylinder head after rebuild.

Bullman

Can anyone tell me after how many running in miles should you re-torque the cylinder head.What is the procedure for retorqueing the head bolts.What order of bolts should this be done by?Any advice,help, would be greatly received.Thanks Bullman.

Bullman

Always used to do mine after about 150 miles but opinions vary, as a general rule the order of bolt tightening for any series of head bolts can be determined by imagining a spiral starting at the centre of the head, trace the spiral outwards in your mind and each time it reaches a bolt, tighten it, this gives pretty much the right sequence in 99% of cases.

Oily

Start in the middle and go cross-corners, working outwards. i.e. (not sure how many headbolts to a x-flow, even though I have one in the garage! Imagine there are 10....) see the diagram below...

7 4 2 6 9

10 5 1 3 8

Does this make sense?

Start in the middle and go cross-corners, working outwards. i.e. (not sure how many headbolts to a x-flow, even though I have one in the garage! Imagine there are 10....) see the diagram below...

7 4 2 6 9

10 5 1 3 8

Does this make sense?

7 4 2 6 9

10 5 1 3 8

Does this make sense?

Mclaren did some research on torqeuing and discovered that there was a huge difference in the compressive load produced by the bolt depending on whether the threads were lubricated and if so with what. An absolute torque figure is thus fairly irrelevant unless it specifies whether it is dry or not.