Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust popping and other wierd stuff not previously encountered

Ade Ray

Dear All

Katie the 1600 X-flow has just recently developed some occasional problems that I am not sure about.

Katie is a little overdue for a service and then I was planning a rolling road tune.

Firstly - on braking I sometimes get one or two exhaust pops. When it occurs it does not make any difference if I am changing down. It is very intermittent.

Secondly - when applying the go-faster pedal, I sometimes encounter what I can only describe as a hesitance in the engine as if it does not want to rev higher than 3500 and I am getting a 'lag' type feel. To accompany this the engine blips and falters.

Again this seems to be intermittent (at the moment) as my return journey seemed fine although I was not pushing the car as much on the outward journey.

I am still too much of an engine no-brainer to have a clue as to what may be going on and if I should be in a panic or not.

Any suggestions (polite) gratefully welcome.

Ade sad.gif

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

Popping through the exhaust on the overrun is usually made worse by having the engine out of tune - carb balance, idle screw settings, jetting, ignition timing, etc. Anything that can make combustion less efficient and leave unburnt fuel in the exhaust will do!

An air leak in the exhaust can also contribute.

Your exhaust banging, plus the lack of response to the throttle suggest that a tune is in order, although it may not be necessary to go on the rollers to cure the problem.

It sounds as though the hesitancy needs looking at, as previously suggested. However, as far as I am aware, even if running correctly, exhaust popping (as long as it isn't excessive)is part of the XF character - go out after dark and enjoy the flames from the exhaust!!

Dear All

Many thanks for the advice. I have just had the bonnet off and I have noticed that some of the cement used by caterham midland to seal the exhaust after the rebuild is missing and there are black deposits in its place. Could this be the leak mentioned by Roger? If so should I repair immediately or wait for the service and tune?

Ade

Ade, it's not disasterous but get it done as soon as possible, worth getting the mixture checked, Popping on the overrun is usually a sign of a weak mixture, could be air leaking into the inlet manifold or simply needs adjusting. If the mixture is too weak and you continue to drive at higher revs it''s possible to damage exhaust valves.

Check the plugs if they're very light/white weakness is your problem!

If as you say it is intermittent then you may a have a blockage in one of the jets

Ade, I get exactly the same 'lag' and exhaust popping from my 1600 Vauxhall. It's always been like that.

But whether it's out of tune or not I couldn't bring myself to change the character of the car! It's something I've eventually got used to.

R992RJM

This week, I have been mostly drinking ... LRP tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Ade, I think the acceleration "lag" will need looking at and will probably be sorted with a rolling road tune of carbs and timing. However my 1700 Supersprint Xflow is only operating properly (147 BHP at the flywheel at 6000 RPM) when it is blatting loudly on overun on all gears including 4th. I have got used to the embarrassment and now enjoy the noise, especialy down narrow cobbled French streets, if the car starts to quieten down I know it is going out of tune.

Andy G

Edited by - Andy G on 13 Mar 2002 17:31:07

Andy

thanks for the comments. I think I shall enlist the help of my brother Simon for a DIY service (easter week-end perhaps Sime?) and then try and arrange a tune up. I think Simon did say he had some carb balancing gear so I do not know how much I can get done.

I then need to fix the small exhaust leak between block and manifold and the mystery electrical problem but I have adpoted a Positive Mental Attitude:

I WILL have a place at Curborough & I WILL have the car working properly by then!

Ade teeth.gif