Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where to get a polisher (angle grinder type)

greg

Dear All

Whilst poping in to redline the other day I saw the use of a "polisher" - Like a small angle grinder, but runs at a different speed.

Any ideas where I might be able to get such a thingy ? I've seen one @ MachineMart for 100 quid inv vat, and wondered if anyone had any better suggestions.

Thanks

Greg

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

Oily, Thanks.

I've tried drill attachments and came to the conclusion of putting the polish on the car first - the car was ok, I took a splattering.

Roland, I know using elbo grease is the best, but I need to free the time this summer.

In a body shop the user is trained to use a polish mop as it is a skilled job and you can easily burn the paint costing you a respray, it is definately not advisable to use on a Caterham because of the pressure required and 7's thin panels. The drill attatchments you can buy are more harmfull as they spin a lot faster and because of the angle they work at are harder to control.

Never put the chemical [polish/'T' Cut] on to the car first as this my stain your paint work, 'T' Cut contains ammonia made to eat into the surface and must be used properly. Also avoid using any house hold products such as Fairy Liquid as they contain salt etc and will remove any protection from your car inclueding the bits you do not see behind rubbers and inside doors and drainage channels and your car will then rust inside out.

I would like to recommend AUTOGLYM silicone resin polish and there car shampoo as this will clean the car and not take off the polish saving you a lot of time and doing a brilliant job.

Phil,

This is for polishing Ali, not paint (I would not try that as I am sure I would end up stripping a load off.).

I've tried the drill attachments, but they require more pressure than a drill can cope with.

John at Redline seemed very happy using it (I think he said (could be wrong) that he would not bother without it.)

Kenny, the loures seem to eat anything, including my skin off my fingers !

I have allways use an orbital sander with some thick cotton in place of the glasspaper. You dampen the cloth and put polish on the aluminium, this way you can polish the whole car in one hour while having a pint or two of beer. A much cheaper and safer option than an angle grinder type polisher, it also just fits between the louvres.