Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tech Forum - Review of the Championship Regs

Mark Durrant

I have listened to many of you throughout the year and now it is time to review the Championship Regs. All classes and the points system are up for review and a summary of your feedback is as follows:

Class 1 - The change has worked well with an increase in the number of entries and the general concensus is it should remain the same for next year.

Classes 2 & 3 - see separate thread.

Classes 4 & 5 - see separate thread.

Class 6 - No changes have been suggested so it should remain the same for next year.

Championship points system - see separate thread.

I am sure I can rely on you to keep the contributions constructive and remember nothing will be decided on Blatchat only at the forum so if your not coming to Donington please post here.

Many thanks for your continued support *thumbup*

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• Area Representative
but not the 1.4K SS which have 133bhp
How much power would we estimate this years class 1 winning car has??

The 1400SS may be rated at 133bhp, but has a poor spread of torque. I would say that a 1400SS is no quicker than a standard 120bhp 1600K. I don't think that there are that many cars out there, and they are quite easily distinguishable by there age (last made 1995?), so should be easy enough to police.

If it encoraged more people to have ago at speed events, then I'd say let them into class 1.

and as a 1400K can be allowed to be modified to the hilt ( as long as as on standard plenum) that could be the engine of choice in class 2/3 as current regs stand

you could run a all steel 1400 on metal plenum, but a big valve head on,wild cams,etc etc etc run an emerald and get 160-170 bhp

but would it be in the spirit of the regs *tongue*

I wish I had 133bhp. Thought they were rated 128 ??

Yes Richard I agree, match well to non SS 1.6 (Dual Carriageway vs Roadsport B - Ahem, Scientific experiment)

The thought of buying some God awful tyres purely for sprints seems bizarre.

Be interesting to see 5 vs 6 speed times from a 1.4 up same hill. For novices like me concentrating on lines rather than changing up and down so much may not be a bad thing ???

Allow 105bhp classics in 1, leave well alone for SS cars.

I like the challenge of chasing times of 5 speed 1.6/1.8's anyway. As for unforgiving and unfamiliar tyres that's just up to me and Class 2 vs 3 ??

David

1.4K SS 😬 here 'You've got be in it to lose it !'

sorry , I think i should have posted here rather than class 2/3

my thoughts for all classes ....

Try and keep it simple and rules such that they can be enforced

Drop the overall points system and just use the class system, keep the brucey bonus for breaking a record ( I still think the system of benchmarking vs records would work as I suggested last year - then you are benchmarked against the record and not against who else happens to attend a round, but the question remains on what to do if it rains )

Ammend to make it that you have to have more than 5 in class to score maximum points.

Drop minimum point scoring rounds by 1

Allow R300's and VVC's into class 3 /2 . Leave Dave and Caspers xflow alone - they rae great competition. all we need to do is remove one spark plug 😬

Ban cross plies - but only from 2008 to alow people to use the £500 of tyres they have in their garages for next year. This is a big change and would wipe out all the points system relative to records in class 3 & 5 for the next 2 years.

Drop the questionaire of which events you are entering at the start of the season - people are annoyed when they then dont recieve regs for rounds they didnt think they could do in January when they completed the form but can do them in August.

Dont make too many changes in one sweep as this will further confuse and dilute the appeal of entering.

Promote the championship more in LF - we need to raise awareness !. Entries are dropping and people dont understand the rules or the points system, whats required for safety or how to prepare the car.

Maintain the clubs own organised rounds and weekends as these were the most popular and were a good source of new entrants ...... ☹️ I'm very, very disapointed in the decision to drop the Llandow weekend of speed despite their being offers to organise the weekend by members. Many of us would have rather seen some effort to promoted it and raise numbers.

Have another go at doing an introduction for beginners - but allow a little more time and notice if help is required ( pleased to help)

dave

here is C7 TOP

South Wales AO *thumbup*

so power is not every thing. I agree but if you are following class4/5 changes Richard said it the preseption that more BHP = faster were it is often more bhp more sideways and slower.

The perseption is the difficult on to sort out. If pertentail sprinters do not think its worth having a go because they only have 165bhp and others have 250bhp then how do we manage this perseption of power?

make a class for less powerful 160bhp - 200bhp or is there an other way.

There have been coments about other champoinships and how do we police what bhp we all have. I am sure we can work round some of these difficulties.

David

We seem to be going in circles a bit.

Seem to be 2 options.

Just tweek the classes as they are. This will predominantly be a Class 4/5 incl tyre change.

Or

A full class review on possibly a BHP basis.

My preference would be the former this year with a view to a full review next year if it still doesn't work.

I do think ACB'10 should be removed from Class 3 for 2008 on.