Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Calipers

Violet Elizabeth

After one of my front brakes stuck last weekend, the man at the local Lockheed brake centre (a barn up the road!) tells me the piston in the caliper is stuck, and that I need new calipers. He seems fairly confident of lockheed being able to supply the spitfire calipers (MK II ?), although I am not so sure.

Question is, if I am spending the money anyway, is it worth changing the disks at the same time ? Similarly, is it worth getting some different pads to whatever are supplied with the calipers ? There does not appear to be much consensus about which pads are best for road use (with very very occasional track day), any recommendations ?. May be easier to go with what they supply, and change later ?

Or is this all a bit tricky for my local brake man to deal with ?

not if your brake man knows what he is doing if you are going to the extent

of both discs and pads +1 caliper if it was me i think i would fit two new calipers discs and pads ferodo will do your discs and pads i have a supplier in edinburgh that will get you all the bits you need if you get stuck the phone no is 0131 229 7878 angle park motor spares they have never faled to get bits for me

good luck fred the spitfire had two sizes of discs you may have to measure them also the pads question.gif

fredid=blue> smile.gif

With all the (Big Brakes), upgrading going on round here, a set of standard discs and calipers off a low mileage Caterham should be along on "For Sale" shortly.

My "wanted" got me tandard Discs, Calipers, pads and Hoses for £100, all in excellent condition.

If you're looking for new Triumph bits the Rimmer Bros website is excellent with blown up drawings of many of the assemblies.

Good luck

Mark