Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Confusion

K12 KAR

OK,

I've read all the threads that I can find, but am still no clearer. Can someone please tell me which would be the best tyres for my 15" Prisoners? Mostly fast dry road stuff. Currently running 195/55/15 Potenzas. I WAS going for A048's but am now scared by tramlining horror stories - and would go for CR500s if the size was available (If I change to cr500s what different ride height would i get on their (i think) 45 profile? And what about Toyos?

Please help - I am no longer able to make a decision on this subject. SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

PS

Politely if possible. 😬

Prisoner No. 5

2.0 l Vauxhall

• Support Team

How about Stunner Scudos - less than £50 a corner (even lower if you shop around) and all the front running class 2 and class 4 (i.e. list 1A tyres) sprinters are using them. I haven't tried them yet though.

If you want the ultimate road tyre for a 7 then IMHO you can't beat CR500s but the ride height will drop about 20mm from your current setup according to gearcalc.

A048s do tramline a bit but that can be dialled out with some toe-in. They are decent on road but really come into their own on track. If you are only doing road driving then they are probably not optimal for you.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

K12, have used A048 in 14", and A032 and R888 (current) on 13", similar usage to yourself, mainly dry fast road. In order of preference I would put R888, very closely followed by A048 with A032 further back. The A032 was very noisy and not good when cold or on greasy roads, the A048 is much better but is still noisy and does tramline a bit, I didn't use it in the wet so difficult to comment specifically. The R888 is nowhere as noisy, doesn't appear to tramline and is fine in the wet, I used them on The Rumble this year and it p***ed down all day. If I had to bet I would guess the A048 would have the greater ultimate grip but I have never got close to the limits of any of them on the road and have never used them on a track.

If I had to buy again I would get the R888s.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

Thanks for the input. I don't really want to drop ride height so it looks on balance that R888 will get the job. Order going in today to avoid any further poncing around.

*thumbup*

Prisoner No. 5

2.0 l Vauxhall

A big *thumbup* for the toyos, but I find your tyre size a bit strange as most on 15 inch rims run 195/50/15 or even 195/45/15 tyres, 55 is quite a big side wall?

Someone mention oil *smile*

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR