Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What is it?

Tim V-W

• Leadership Team

My last 7 ('95 1400SS registered '96) also didn't have a charcoal canister, but, there are diagrams shown in the build manual. '96 is well before EU3.

Tim, is your '96 1400 a pre or post '96 chassis, ie is the handbrake under the dash or on the tunnel top? There were only 30 post '96 1400SS 7s, all designated limited edition roadsports.

Stu.

Stu

I guess mine is a '95 registered '96 as the handbrake is under the dash.

I reckon that carbon filter is most likely and if it's not req'd (seemingly so) then I will probably remove it; if for no other reason than to drop the coil down and stop it fouling the throttle cable.

Tim

While I'm asking questions - there is a hole - with grommet - each side of the front of teh car behind the brake pipes exits from teh body. Does it sound like the car has had I/C repeaters removed?
Those are most likely where the front light loom exited the body onthe way to the lights. Most likely your car has the later light brackets with the internal wiring.

• Leadership Team

AFAIK the later type light brackets with internal wiring cannot be fitted to pre-96 chassis. This was discussed in some detail recently - the extra front leg of the new brackets has nowhere to locate on the older chassis. There should be a grommet (with the lighting wires) just below the lamp bracket - Tim, are you saying there is an additional grommet on each side?

Stu.

Mick / Stu

I have checked and the headlights have internal wiring through the bracket.

The additional holes are actually above the brake pipe exits in the aluminium skin, not in the nosecone, are about 8mm net dia inside a rubber grommet.

Is the additional bracketry you referred to visble outside the bodywork?

Thanks

Tim

• Leadership Team

Tim, the previous owner must have modified the light bracket setup to take the wiring internally - the grommets you are seeing are plugging the original holes through which the wiring exited the side skin. Your era of chassis originally had the wires running to the headlights and indicator assemblies cable tied to the outside of the light bracket tubing.

Anyway, stop worrying about the grommets and get it converted to 1800cc 😬

Stu.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but when removing the charcoal canister what do you do with the hoses that attached to it?

Two dissappear into the transmission tunnel (I assume back to the tank) and the third goes up to the inlet manifold. Is it a case of joining one of the two that go back to the tank to the one on the inlet manifold and blanking the other off ?

Thanks

Rob