Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What is it?

Tim V-W

Two weeks into ownership and the joy of discovery is upon me.

After a couple of blats today, one for me one for my wife (she loved it: that didn't take long did it) I couldn't resist having a thorough poke around the mechanics - so to speak.

In addition to a disconnected rear ARB link, I spotted a cylindrical item fixed down below the coil and didn't have time to investigate, so can someone advise what this object is?

Car is a 1996 1400 supersport.

Thanks

Tim

OK,OK sloooower please.

It has several pipes and a vent or drain from the top to fresh air.

Interesting about the coil because on this car it is a Rover item fixed with a large rubber cover that slightly obstructs the throttle cable.

I would say it is 100mm dia x about 150mm long and it is black.

Does that help?

BTW how do I post pictures ( not that I have any of this particular item)

Tim

Tim, you can't post pics onto blatchat...you have to host them with one of the online photo sites and do a link in your posting.....oh and it sounds like it is the charcoal cannister, part of the fuel system...and basically extra weight you don't need to carry..mine was junked years ago *tongue*

Thanks for all the replies.

Why a charcoal cannister on a 1996 UK car?

Gordon - advice on removal gratefully accepted. What do I take off, what do I leave and what do I do with whats left? (nearly came to see you today but couldn't get Jane out of the car *smile*)

What about this question of the coil?

What should the one on a 1400 s/s look like and where should it be fitted.

While I'm asking questions - there is a hole - with grommet - each side of the front of teh car behind the brake pipes exits from teh body. Does it sound like the car has had I/C repeaters removed?

Tim