Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Texture not size

Tony Martyr

I followed the thread about steering wheel size with interest. I have gone for size and leverage but wish I had the grip of the smaller suede covered wheels. The larger standard Caterham steering wheel has a black leather cover that takes a wonderful shine and needs a very tight grip on track days.

Sparco gloves give no improvement - only sweaty palms seem to grip.

Perhaps a light emery treatment - any ideas

• 2 weeks later...

when it comes to leather and cleaning Decosol make one of the best cleaners, simply add three caps full to a pint of warm water and mix then apply, this make it clean and soft and improves the grip.On interior seats etc once clean use Autoglym leather care for great results but not on the wheel. Have just done the hole interior of my car as it was filthy when I purchased it, with brilliant like new results.Good luck.

Yes on the seats etc use the Decosol first as this is a cleaner mainly and the Autoglym second as this feeds the leather and protects it making it easy to cleen again later.

Decosol is supplied in a clear plastic bottle about 500ml and cost around £3.99 at most good car accessory shops. It is also very good for cleaning soft tops etc and the Leather care by Autoglym is a good protectant for the same.

If you cannot find any Decosol, Autoglym make a good leather precleaner along the same lines but i have not tried this product yet but judging by the quality of the rest of the Autoglym range it should be very good.

I save all my old tooth brushes as these are ideal for cleaning in the seams and corners and a decent 1 inch paint brush to dust down the dials and vents on car dashboards, cotton buds are also very usefull.