Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removable Spare Tyre rack for SL

Phantom Menace

My SL arrives midweek and wondered what everybody recommends for dealing with punctures. Having seen rmdjb's puncture gunge posting I will get some Tyre safe but wondered whether there is a rack (etc..)that you can add to an SL for long journeys and remove for track days or local blats.

Is it also true that it is illegal to drive on the M-way without a pressurized spare.

cheers

In response to your:

'Is it also true that it is illegal to drive on the M-way without a pressurized spare'

It can't be as some major car manufactures do not supply spares with their cars, I recently owned a Ford Racing Puma that arrived from Ford with a can of foam in the boot and no spare!!, Aston Martin do the same on some of their cars, it usually happens when tyre & rim sizes change from front to rear, ie no common wheel size.

Graham

cool.gif1700 Live Axle X/Flow, got the engine upgrade now all I've got to do is try & beat the rest of the guys up the hill!!!!!id=red> cool.gif

The flyers I was handing out were for a tyre rack for four wheels/tyres held above an FIA bar, rather than a single tyre as a spare. It would rather destroy the romance of touring to be followed around by four ugly great tyres.

Having driven the round trip to Snetterton/Cadwell with one on, it really didn't upset the handling. Don't expect to be able to assemble the hood with one on.

I've got one of the 4-wheel racks and it's superb. Fine to about 80mph in the wet, but probably won't be trying corners at that speed with it on.

But it's not for carrying a spare.

I would have thought it possible to mount a normal spare wheel rack to the back but it'll require a lot of messing about. Far easier to get a chassis with one fitted, then make it removable afterwards...

I'll be using the 4-wheel jobbie on Le Sept. I'm hoping to also be able to make it into a sun screen when stuck on Le Peripherique.