Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Have You Got a Big One??

Anthony Micallef

Steering wheel that iswink.gif. When I picked up my car last week it had a momo Q/R wheel on it(possibly 260mm). I found the steering uncomfotably heavy even at high speeds. I was able to swap it with a fellow blatchatter for a 290mm wheel. This feels alot better and inspires alot more confidence at speed through the corners.

However im now having second thoughts as the smaller wheel looked better and didn't obscure the change up light. Is it something I would have got used too I wonder?

At last I own one teeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif

I've been told mine is bigger than usual....oo er

seriously, I have the 290mm momo wheel which i like because it allows me to see the dials better (i can also see the change up light)

my steering was made a lot lighter by switching from 16"/205 tyres to 13"/185 tyres at the front

i am considering the smaller wheel to give me more knee room so i'm also interested to hear what people think

I've got a 22 inch wooden one off a routemaster. I find that it makes steering easier with a 22% uprated rack. It's a bugger to get the tonneau fixed down though as we found it easier to access the car via a quick release seat rather than steering wheel.

• Area Representative

Well, some might say I have a se7en because mine is too smallblush.giftongue.gif

Seriously, I'm considering fitting a smaller s'wheel, too, and so am interested in peoples' thoughts.

I have an 11" one on my Caterham and it feels good with the standard rack.

I have a lovely 14" wooden wheel with billet boss, (very light too), to go on my resto project Lotus, I just hope my fat legs fit under it.

I could go for surgery if notsmile.gif

Mark

Seriously, I'm considering fitting a smaller s'wheel, too, and so am interested in peoples' thoughts.

Seriously then, as I am 6 feet I was recommended the 260mm diameter by Caterham to avoid jamming my knees, rather than go for a QR. I was a little concerned per-delivery as my old Caterham (20 years ago) had a 12inch diameter wheel, and that seemed pretty small at the time.

However it's an absolute delight, quick and responsive when driving and not at all heavy when parking. Thoroughly recommend a 260mm MOMO.

Slarty Blat Fasttongue.gif