Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Puncture gunge

russb

I plan to tour around Spain in the summer and the memsahib has indicated a desire to replace the spare wheel with some sort of luggage carrying contraption, with that in mind can any of you chaps recommend a suitable gunge and/or inflator to pack in case of a puncture. ISTR Aston used to fit a kit instead of a spare on some cars

Russ

Tyre Weld and good pan-European breakdown cover.

It's asking for multiple punctures when I get the car back, but I've never had a puncture in the 7. I think that because they're v.light they're less susceptible to punctures generally...

There is a product called Tyre Safe (I think). You can get it from Demon Tweeks. It comes with lots of wonderful claims and is endorsed by one or both of the McRae brothers.

You put it in the tyre and it is supposed to prevent punctures. Anyone had any relevant experience?

Mad Manx

Make sure you have a spare day-return ferry ticket. (ask Peter C.)

From what I hear, the tyre foam stuff is ok if you have a small puncture wound, but if the tyre tears you may be in trouble. We toured with the caterham luggage rack attached to the spare tyre, no probs, and you can stuff laundry/shoes etc behind the spare wheel as well.

I travel with a tubeless puncture repair kit from BMW (they put them on their bikes) and a can of tyreweld. I travel without a spare.........

There used to be something called Oko (I think) which was advertised in many motorcycle magazines in the late 80's and early 90's. It was a liquid which you poured in to the tyre through the valve (with the valve centre removed), and was supposed to prevent punctures. If I found something similar, I'd use that too. I haven't really looked though..............

Russ - I concur with Blatman, get a repair kit from a motorcycle dealer - plugs, rubber solution, insertion hook and CO2 cartriges to re-inflate the tyre, the kits take up very little space.

Have fun in Spain, went in the 7 late summer last year, you will have a super time - but, if you have nice shiny valve caps the kids will have them for souveneirs.

allen

• Area Representative

Does anyone know the shelf-life of Tyreweld? And, what's the difference between /advantage of the bike repair kit?

Adil

Edited by - adil on 7 Mar 2002 16:01:07

I also heard some tyre fitters refuse to work with the stuff.

I'm not convinced about the Tyre Safe type stuff. You'll pick up small punctures/holes without realising it which I would have though increases the probability that you'll compromise the tyre without noticing and therefore the risk of a more serious failure.

At least with a reactive "repair" like Tyre Weld you know to get the tyre fixed.

I'm sure plenty of products get endorsements without the celeb truly using it smile.gif - look at Brut 33.

I am told by my local tyre dealer that if you use tyreweld or similar, then the puncture cannot be repaired.

I was told that the glue that sticks the mushroom patch wouldn't hold.

I think it actually means "If you think I'm cleaning all that crap outta there mate, think again"

Next time, I'll remove and clean the tyre myself and see what happens when I present a perfectly clean tyre for a tubeless repair..................

Tyre weld or what ever flavour of gunge you want to stuff in your tyre is not going to be the end of the problem, I have heard tales of this stuff causing out of balance problems, and forming " marbles" in the tyre, which then become useless at fixing the punctures as intended, also as mentioned tyre fitters have a dislike for the stuff, take a spare wheel, get a luggage rack from Caterham or secondhand, don't try to load the baaby grand piano on it and it do a fine job, dirty jocks, socks and T's, that sort of thing, have fun doing the long tour, really finds out the "women" from the "want to be seen in this thing" types, Regards Nigel. (Pan European tour 3500 miles in 1990) Have fun, thats main thing ! ! ! !