Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Best route for 1.8K engine build project

Steve Cragg

Help please!

After a lot of head scratching and a couple of near misses buying ready tuned engines I have decided to go down a route of building a 1.8K. This will allow me to continue to run my existing 1.6 engine and potentially in future to revert back to a standard set up should I so desire.

I won't be going crazy (to start with *tongue*) but want to build a strong base I can develop later. I already have some Jenvey DTHTBs purchased some time ago and will fit forged pistons.

I have the opportunity to buy a failed 1.8 from a Freelander sourced by a club member at a good price. Suspected failure is a liner base seal.

My question is whether this route is worthwhile? I will need to strip the engine down to build the new engine and want to get teh crank balanaced properly etc. anyway so is the only additional cost going to be a new set of liners and seals?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Steve

Superlight #63

Steve,

I'd have serious thoughts of getting Scholar to do their work on the liners and you might as well go 1900 for the extra over the the cost of doing this and staying 1800. If you are going to do this it doesn't matter what the previous liners were like and you've got a cheap starting block (all puns intended *tongue*).

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Steve,

I know someone who's got a VVC for sale, from what I can remember it's complete with injectors and throttle body etc, but I'm not sure about the ECU. It's reputed to have done 24000 miles, and had a new head gasket just fitted. It's located in Middlesbrough, the asking price is £495.

I was very tempted myself, but was told the next upgrade was going to be the kitchen 🙆🏻

I would say that if you are going for a complete rebuild any way then I would probably go for the failed engine and then make sure that it is built up correctly ie liner seals and heights etc. I would then fit my VVC head 😬 and you have a very easy 185bhp, with a little more porting work then 200 is on the cards.

Oh, did I mention I have very tidy, low mileage VVC head for sale *tongue*

Gareth

Blue and Carbon 6 Speed Supersport with new wheels

Thanks for everyones input and Dave Andrews and Rob Walkers time on the telephone *thumbup*

I have now bought the VVC engine that Ged put me on to - cheers Ged *thumbup* and bought an Emerald.

This means I now have a complete VVC engine (the 143bhp version not the Trophy) a set of Jenvey DTHTBs and an Emerald *smile*

I think the plan will be to source 285 cams and a blanking kit from DVA to convert the head and I now need to decide whether to do any serious work on the bottom end.

It is an EU2 engine which i understand has better rods and pistons than EU3 and at the price i paid it is tempting just to run it as it is at the 180 bhp or so I should get from fitting all this gubbins.

But in my heart I know I should get the crank assembly properly balanced and fit forged pistons but my budget won't run to doing everything I would like to do. Decisions , decisions!

Sorry to ramble on but I've just got back from the pub 😬

Oh, and Gareth - I now have a VVC cylinder head *tongue*

Steve

Superlight #63

Steve,

There was an interesting thread on here a few months ago which was to the effect that most engine tuners couldn't balance the cranks anywhere near as well as Rover. This in turn lead to may people's problems with uprated K's. This all refered to an article with a table showing the test results which were miles worse than standard.

David

David,

I've read the article you're referring to agree it contains some interesting stuff.

What are people's views on the max power/revs that standard EU2 VVC pistons are good for? Are the VVC pistons (not Trophy engine) better than the standard 1.6 K pistons?

I've seen Oily's pictures of some broken standard 1.6 SL pistons from a 200 bhp engine but I'm not looking to go quite that far at this stage and if these pistons are of better quality there might be more margin to play with. If I can safely run the existing bottom end at say 180/190 bhp it will enable me to do what I want with the head and induction system within my existing budget.

Steve

Superlight #63