Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Pressure

NoLimits

Have just driven to the SVA test and back. 150 miles ish. New SLR with dry sump.

Oil pressure seemed fine at low speed etc but once on the M'way and warm pressure rose to approx 7.5 bar and then after say 30 min dropped to 7 bar. All on the standard C'ham dials of course.

This pressure seems high to me? My previous car used to run at about 5 - 5.5.

Do i need to worry?

By the way only failed SVA on one item that i could not detect until on the way. Once i was on the move and turning i found a small vibrtion throught the steering. The column was fouling on the oil pump housing. Nothing i could do whilst there to adjust so i will need to return. I did have to alter and adjust a number of items whilst there, but thats a much longer storey.

7 bar sounds much too high and could cause problems with the filter sealing. If the reading is genuine, you need to get it fixed.

A blocked pressure relief valve is the most likely cause. Get access to the front of the engine, under the dry sump belt there is the 12mm allen keyed plug for the pressure relief valve.

If you open it up, there is a spring and a plunger; you will get oil everywhere The plunger should be free to move of its own accord. Try long nosed pliers to carefully remove or rotate it - do not score it. Either that or remove the spring and refit the cap - turn the engine over on the starter momentarily (do not start).

Look for signs of corrosion or any roughness. It should be a perfect surface and a gliding fit in its housing. Clean and refit. The plug is sealed with a Dowty seal that seems to survive a few dismantles and reassembly.

Do you have the remote oil pressure sender kit? If so, your pressures will read 1 bar higher than gallery pressure and a bit more at higher revs, but that should be giving you the 5 bar (as opposed to 4 bar. 7 bar is way too high.

What oil do you use?

Thanks for info Peter.

Oil is Comma Syner G at present. I plan to change to Syner g-Z at 500 miles after some bedding in.

Since the car is going back to Caterham for Roller barrels, MBE ECU and Post build check i will ask them to investigate.

I thought 7 bar was to high!

What is the "remote sender" how is it different to any other sender?

The remote sender is dangled on the end of a bit of braided hose and attaches near your horns. The sender is attached at the other end to a specially modified filter head, with the tapping on the wrong side of the filter so it measures a pressure that seems to get better, the more clogged your filter is...

On my S7 1.6K 115Cv :

When the engine is cold the pressure of oil is 6-6.5 Bar

hot Driving has 3000-4000 turn 5-5.5

hot Engine with 1000-2000 : 4-5 Bar

Very hot engine (city traffic) : 4-4.5 Bars

@+

Cat_man

7 Power

Before I drive. Now I pilot

Caterham have changed the engine complete as it was cheaper for them? No loom change etc.

The new engine has the same pressure on a new guage. Jez Coates tells me after he went back to Minister to ask questions that Minister have upgraded the oil pump on the VHPD and that 7 bar is to be expected.