Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Do cross drilled brake discs hum?

SteveP

I have cross drilled brake discs fitted to the (recently aquired) tintop and have noticed that when braking, as I pass 40mph, I get what can only be described as a loud hum. It disappears as the speed drops, and only occurs at 40mph.

It is definitely not a grinding noise i.e. not crud on the discs, there is no vibration through the pedal or the steering wheel and braking performance seems totally fine.

Other forums suggest that these sort of discs are prone to humming, (notably on BMW M3s) but to what degree and how loud? Currently it seems a bit excessive to me, but have no experience of other cars with drilled discs.

Anybody out there got any experience or can offer advice, before I wheel the car down to the dealers for them to tell me TADTS?

Thanks

SteveP

The Caterham Pages here

not a direct answer to your question but

had some grooved discs on my golf gti fitted with standard pads (Pagid). Grinding noise was absolutely horrible on braking, stripped everything down at least twice convinced that something was rubbing or I had metal on metal somewhere

couldn't find anything so just replaced the pads (Pagid Fast Road) and never heard anything again!

but as you say, your problem is speed related and not under braking....

No my issue is when under braking, not just driving along and sounds similar to what OBNS describes. I was wondering whether a change in pads might help, as they don't seem to be too effective at slower speeds but come into their own under hard braking and when they get hot.

It is almost like they set up some sort of resonance at 40mph when braking, is that possible?

SteveP

The Caterham Pages here

This may be so much BS but someone much more knowledgeable that I once told me that cross-drilled discs can sometimes be prone to minor gaseous explosions in the holes *eek* caused by heat and pad vapour build-up giving rise to vibrations or even 'humming'. Maybe try another pad compound and see if the problem eases.

Just a thought, talking of BS and 'humming', you haven't driven thorough any cow sh*t have you 🤔 😬

I'll get my coat.......... *thumbup*

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - Surrey AO and Su77on Se7ener

I fitted cross drilled discs and M1144 pads on the front last year and they do make a slight noise under braking (a sort of whirring), compared to the plain standard discs.

I've never given it a second thought as I knew what it was.

Ian

(If you want to go faster, you will have to add lightness!)

Edited by - Ian R on 28 Oct 2006 21:01:24