Click here if you are having website access problems ×

speedo sticking at 60mph.... do i need a new one?

James King

I guess its the head and not the cable. I have removed the unit and it seems that the needle is not returning to zero either.

Does anyone know if these can be reconditioned or is it better to fork out the 70 odd quid for a new one from caterham?

One other thing. when i removed the light bulb from the back i fused the instrument lighting circuit. Funny thing is it didn't blow the instrument/heater fuse as labelled, but the rear offside tail light fuse. Weird, it must be wired up differently

It does sound as though the speedo has had it.

IIRC Caterham have changed the speedos (on the newer cars) which means you will need a speedo a cable and a speedo drive!

Double check with them.

They can be repaired. If you want to do that I can dig out a number for you.

How about an ad in the wanted section? There must be a few cars which have a Stack speedo in.

The heater and Instrument fuse powers the heater and the gauges ie the fuel and temp gauge. The illumination for the gauges is on the same circuit as one of the side lights.

James

if it's a vdo black dial, ratrace sorted mine out when it broke.. i think it was around the £100 mark all in....

i quite liked the potential to say ...

" sorry orificer, i don't actually know how fast i was going !!! "

but decided i didn't like the odometer not working.

I had a speedo that was reluctant to go over a certain speed, and would sometimes not drop back to zero. It didn't bother me much and I left it like that.

The next owner decided to investigate, and found that the plastic front was bowed in slightly and fouled the speedo needle. He reckoned that the heat from the sun had caused this. Turning the face around so it bowed out solved the problem.

I'd knocked a bit off the price of the car for the dodgy speedo - so he was rather pleased.

Worth taking it to bits to see if yours is so simple to fix.

If not Speedy Cables will reapir efficiently & inexpensively.

Jonathan

Edited by - JonathanG on 6 Mar 2002 11:34:38