Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/T Audi TDI 130 Clutch Judder

Bozz

Calling on the powers of BC (again)

Has anyone got any experience of the above when starting from cold which disappears when warmed up?

VAG claims no fault found and no know issues.

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here

I've had 2 new clutches and flywheels on my 2004 Passat TDi 130, first time at about 18,000 miles, the second at about 28,000. They were replaced both times under warranty. Symptoms were exactly the same - clutch judder when cold, disappearing when warm.

The dealer claimed that this wasn't a known problem on Passats, though Honest John's forum seems to suggest a general VAG fault here

Andrew

Bozz

The problem was the dual mass flywheel, but as for the exact cause of the judder I don't know (you'd need to talk to someone more mechanically minded, I'm afraid). I must say that I had no difficulty with my dealer (Stanwells of Boston) - replacements were carried out twice without question. It's certainly made me wary of the car, though, and I shall probably sell it before the warranty runs out for fear of picking up the bill myself in the future.

Andrew

When you see the complexity of a DMF here its hardly surprising that they occasionally fail when you consider some of the loadings they have to transmit. Its not just Audi/VW, most diesel engine makers have been having trouble with them. Some manufacturers have apparently been electronically further reducing the torque in the first 2 gears to try and eliminate the problems.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 19 Oct 2006 19:35:13