Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

upgrade wishbone on '89er DD Supersprint

Roel Bergers

Hi,

Is it possible to use a front upper wishbone of a '96er Caterham on my '89er Supersprint? I do have the upgrade bracket on the front already. I want to replace the forged 'Lotus style' link so I can adjust camber setting.

Who can help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Roel.

The Netherlands.

Yes ,you can----but.

Can simply replace for new style wishbone ,assuming you have the bracket to mount the front leg to the chassis.You will need a new style ARB and bushes and bakelite end bushes for said ARB.

You will have to accept that the taper in the top swivel does not mate with that of the old upright. Not a safety issue ,but rather this prevents you accurately and simply setting the camber,as the broken taper seats differently each time . So trial and error ,rather than "one turn = .25 degree".

Solve this by getting a new upright and then new lower w/bone.

Depends on why you want the camber to be ajustable/how frequently you will fiddle,as to whether it is a good use of your cash.

The top wishbone doesn't fit the taper on the upright, but its not a safefy issue!!! That maybe the case, but Caterham won't actually say, its not a safety issue, as I found out!

But what you can do, is replace the track rod ends with a track rod end, with the correct Triumph taper. You can buy the correct ends from any Motor Factor for around £6.00 each. The part Number is QR1118S, and was a track rod end used on a Fiat 132.

This has the correct thread to fit the adj wishbone and the correct taper on the other end to fit the Heraly/Spitfire upright.

Better to be safe than sorry!!