Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Checking crank case pressure?

Mim

Can somebody explain how I can check my 2lt VX for crank case pressure.(Caterham dry sumped).I have a feeling that oil is being forced out through the crank seal? This has just been replaced and the main cap resealed for the 3rd time (using the GM black sealant)But oil continues to seep from the sump/bell housing join.

Having tried so carefully to seal the crankshaft and failed, you haven't voiced a lot of confidence in the crankcase pressure theory.

I replied to John Salmon a while ago with:

here

I was probably wrong in that case, so it will probably be best to believe the been there, done that Vauxhall owners and open up the breather. It can do no harm. However, the gearboxes can and do leak from the cork gaskets. If all else fails try replacing the cork gasket.

I find that after traversing the bellhousing and having hung underneath the car in a drip, it isn't obvious what sort of oil you are looking at.

Peter, thanks for the comment however when I removed the engine to replace the main seal I left the bellhousing and gearbox in place. Throughout the time that the engine was out of the car there was no sign of any oil drips from anywhere around this area. The oil only reappeared after starting the car up (on the ramps)for the first time after replacing the engine. For that reason I am still assuming its engine oil?

Two further thoughts...

Peter's right it can sometimes be difficult to be sure that it is engine oil. If you have a Caterham dry sump arrangement clutch fluid can leak from the slave cylinder and through the drain hole in the bell housing. By the time it has mixed with clutch dust it is a convincing copy of oil. In this case your clutch resevoir would be falling so check. You can also loose oil through a cracked gearbox casing (type 9) adjacent to the level plug. It is a hairline crack and very difficult to see

Good luck