Click here if you are having website access problems ×

To vaseline or not

Phantom Menace

It's a very good idea to waxoil the whole car before starting the build. Especially around the tank and rear end and inside the engine bay, although some engines do a self rustproofing service while they're running smile.gif. Thin the Waxoil down with white spirit to make it spray better, the white spirit then evaporates off.

Roy

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying smile.gif

use copper grease (or slip).

You only need a bit, but the small tubes you get could be a little small - you can get tubs from motor factors.

Bewared its very slippy! Unlike grease or vaslene that is quite sticky. Spent part of my saturday looking for a bolt that had slipped out of my hands just as I was going to put it in. Ended up lying on the road looking for it - supprised a few motorist :-) Hence you are warned that once applied that important bolt or nut will fall into an in accessable place, or be unfindable - sods law.

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

With respect to alex, i must disagree, I would waxoil the front suspension, I didn't wax oil the steering arm thingies and theyre the only bits that have rusted, its also worth waxoil under the headlamp bowl where it goes on to the chrome support bit, thats rusting on mine, as he said though it ain't pretty.

I heard a story once from a friend of mine,who had advised another friend to put coppaslip on all the bolts on the engine of his new motorbike(to stop corrosion making them impossible to remove later in the life of the machine).

A week or so later he appeared,with little blobs of coppaslip stuck to the ends of every bolt head on the bike.smile.gif

(He hadn't bothered to unscrew them first!)