Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Repairing aluminium rad (berkshire)

robmar

I have one of the caterham race ali rads, and it has sprung a leak somwhere between the fins and the side bit (very technical) by bodge job has finally given up, so does anyone know

a. if these are repairable

b. if it is worth doing (costs, likely hood of failuer again)

c. anyone in the reading/wokingham area that could be recommended

cheers

rob

good luck!!

There was a thread recently about this (same area as well) and not sure if anyone found anywhere - some (many) of us have a Radtec radiator with the same sort of leak, and I think most have been told that it can't be changed, so have to buy a new one...

If you do find somewhere, let us know *thumbup*

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

96,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Bricol,

Looks like the same stuff as a product called Lumiweld marketed by Frosts and also available at Machinemart. May not do the job though as the coolant tubes are crimp sealed to the side tanks and there may be a plastic seal. I had 3 caterham race rads fail in less than 1 year.

Rob I would fit the standard caterham ali rad on your car. There is no need to fit a race rad with your spec of engine. The standard rads seem to be more durable and are lighter and cheaper. Again the Radtec`s are over capacity for your engine spec.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 17 Oct 2006 09:41:34

I took mine to Bagshot Radiators (who are no longer in Bagshot but on a farm west of Fleet) and he said he could not repair it. I got a standard radiator second-hand and that worked *thumbup* driving 2,700 miles round Europe in temperatures in the high 30s (add to that a half-hour traffic jam getting into Switzerland).