Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Conning tower design flaws?

Peter T

Looking at my current tower design it seems not good for high revving units.

The overall diameter is to small to promote a smoth slow velocity air seperation of air and oil.

I think it needs to have some sort of baffle and be wider to seperate oil and ait to minimise oil wastage.

The oil throw back does not incorperate enough velocity to seperate oil from air and allows to much mist which compromises the effeciency of what the tower should do. *confused*

The speed of the oil return hitting the tower should begin to slow and seperate the oil particles from the air, but being as it is very small increases the velocity and does not seperate as it should do causing oil vapour loss.

Pace tank design relies on large surface area to disipate the two which works ok.

Will a velocity tank that is tappered reduce this problem? *idea*

R500 Mango Madness

Edited by - Peter T on 15 Oct 2006 22:14:49

Edited by - Peter T on 18 Oct 2006 13:11:02

Peter I agree its a horrible design but I guess it was done as an after thought and had to fit ontop of the exsisting belltank which preceeded its design which stems from the VX days. I think the only real solution is to revert to the standard bellhousing and have a stand alone tank such as the pace.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 16 Oct 2006 13:21:44

Ok so i think i can slightly re-design the performance of it. After having a look at what causes the increase in oil speed it seems that the surface area between the internal tube and sidewall is very thin, this has the effect of pushing oil upwards towards the outlet which goes to my catch tank, it does carry a lot of oil with it as the tower cannot seperate the two. *confused*

Lower revving engines do not suffer as much as the oil velocity hitting the tower is nowhere near as fast.

The internal tube only serves as a piont for the breather and a filling hole, so reducing the internal tube diameter will have an effect of making the inlet sidewall ratio larger thus slowing the velocity and have a better chance of deairation, also lengthening the internal tube will help also with heat disipation .

This is al theory so far and i will machine up a couple of different internal tubes to see what happens. *idea*

R500 Mango Madness