Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox Question?

STEVE GILBERT

I have a replacement 5 speed to put in my Zetec car. Question is, as it came from a K engined car will I have any issues with the length of the Input Shaft? I have read threads about the need to cut this shaft on 6sp boxes on a K car but when cut are they too short for other aplications? Fingers crossed eh?

All.Knowing1@talk21.com

Steve

I probably cannot give you the definitive answer here but at least it will put it back to the top. When I sold the quaife box out of my x-flow to a mate who planned to fit it in his VX car he phoned to say the input shaft was too long. That was when I discovered the difference between a X-flow and VX/K series box, the x-flow input shaft was approx 1/2" longer. The simple cure was to cut this extra off with a grinder and chamfer off the edges but doing the opposite i.e stick the 1/2" back on is not possible. I did note when we had cut the 1/2" off that the witness mark where the x-flow spiggot bearing had been running was still on the remaining shaft, it was right at the end but it was still visible. I would suspect that this would mean that that providing the shaft was running in the bearing (and I mean the full length of the bearing to give full support) you would be OK. I would guess that the piece that passes through the bearing into the space at the rear of the crank does nothing once through the bearing. It will be a case of very careful measuring to ensure the shaft is long enough to pass through the bearing.

I can confirm that the spigot shaft length required by a x-flow and Zetec is the same, I have just converted to Zetec myself.

Paul

From What I recall they don't. I think when they want a long input shafted gearbox Phil Stewart at Road and race sources them. He once showed me about 20 on a shelf that he had done for Caterhams. I believe they came from V6 sierras and Granadas. I believe that the other Ford variants that used this gearbox all had the shorter shaft (but I may have misheard this)

Steve

Not a clue how Caterham do it, probably not with a grinder, when you order a 6 speed I believe you have to specify either x-flow or VX/K, presume it would be the same with a 5 speed. With some careful measuring relative to the rear of the block and the end of the crank etc together with the dimension from the bellhousing face (including spacer) to the end of the input shaft you should be able to ascertain if there is a chance or not that the end of the shaft will make it down the bearing. All this presumes you have the Zetec out of the car, if not my cunning plan would be useless. I cannot believe that someone out there does not have this valuable information at their fingertips. Maybe a call to James Whiting would help. Brian Hill at BGH is very helpfull try him on 01580 714114.

Chris

I took the Quaife out in 1998, er indoors complained that it sounded like it was about to self destruct (it was an alloy cased 4 speed pro) and I fitted a 5 speed BGH "sport ratio" box. Smashing box, totally silent (well almost, never hear it with the x-flow but with the far quieter Zetec it is slightly audible). The 4 speed had a far better change and weighed bugger all. My mate is now testing it to destruction in his VX racecar.

Paul

Thanks all, the engine and old box are still in at the moment, Im just trying to second guess problems before they arise when I do the change. Worst case I will have to swap out the shaft from the old 5 speed. Anyone know how hard that is or have a type9 workshop manual? How hard can it be right?

All.Knowing1@talk21.com

Steve,

With a limited amount of light and a bad back (so I couldn't lift the 'box off the floor) these are the measurements from my type 9 which is normally fitted to a xflow -

From the splines(base of taper)to start of witness mark 24.22mm

Width of witness mark 10.09mm

From witness mark to end of shaft (but not including end taper) 9.3mm

end taper 1.87mm

Hope this helps.

Phil Owen.

Haynes do a general gearbox manual which covers these boxes and which is usually available from Halfords. The XR4i manual used to include gearbox rebuilds but Haynes seem to have dropped gearboxes from their current manuals. I have a copy but no easy access to a photocopier. Let me know if you get stuck for a copy and/or advice as I have rebuilt these boxes more times than I care to remember.

Steve,

Hope you're a 'gearbox man' or I think you're in for some fun.

I had my type 9 stripped in front of me by an expert in 30 minutes - estimate for me doing it myself would be between a month and a year. Reassembly by me would not have been within my capabilities. I guess what I'm saying is it's not the same as working on an engine,or building a Caterham.

If you are near Cheshire I can give you the name of a guy who can do anything you need on the box at an excellent price.

If you're in the Midlands Steve Perks at SPC is the man.

Paul