Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can I get 86mm forged pistons for my X/F?

Clay Head

Accralite forged pistons come in the following sizes and are available exclusively from Burton's. The cc is based on a standard stroke - 77.62mm

83.5mm = 1700cc

85mm = 1760cc

86.5mm = 1825cc

Roger King used to do some 85.9mm accralites for 1800cc exactly - Some time ago now though.

I have a virtually unused set of 85.6mm (I am fairly sure) forged pistons. Have been keeping them by for several years but probably wont be needing them now.

Any good to you? if you reply be patient as I cant get to the computer much this week.

Tim,

If you can find a set of longer rods (about 133mm) you can use a set of flat tops from a 16V Vauxhall, and run them down the bore to effectively make a combustion chamber.A lot of high revving racing x-flows use this method. These are beautiful forged Mahle affairs, and are very light. Small end would need narrowing very slightly, but pin size is the same. Available in excellent used condition for about £50 a set.

I admit this is not as straightforward as buying a set from Burton!

Chris.

Chris.

Chris

thanks for the advice- I have already been to Dave Brooks with that idea as I can get a set of Vauxhall pistons from a friend. He tends to think that running them as you suggest is not good news for longer term reliability (rings, etc). It looks like Dave can get me some pistons made in the States for almost the same price as the accrolite pistons but without the wait. They will be to his exact design and should work well.

Tim

Dave,

My Connaught built engine uses a flat head/flat top piston arrangement and is very effective. It's true that squish is non existent, but because of the way in which the inlet ports aim the charge at the bore wall, swirl is created within the bore to aid rapid combustion. If the inlet flow was straight (something like a Fiat Twin Cam) I admit that this method wouldn't work as well as the normal Heron type chamber. Peter Burgess has done exhaustive tests on the flowbench regarding x-flow inlet port shapes, even to the extent of inserting straight tubes directly into the valve throat area, but nothing worked as well as the originally designed port shape.

Tim,

Glad Dave Brooks has come up trumps! Did he show you those beautiful lightened rods that he does?

Chris.