Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Scuttle design???

RiF

Is there a good reason why, where the scuttle bolts down to the chassis, the ally is folded into a U and a U section then bolts the scuttle down?????

Would angle be as good as a U? The strength of the U is surely not used in this case *confused* or am I missing something *wink*

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Richard,

I doubt using angle would present a problem. One small advantage of the u section is that it holds the washers and nuts captive . Also if you are using the same thickness of metal the u must be slightly stronger but as you pointed out there should be only small loading on the channel .

rob

Rob, yes agree with you

Adam, sorry disagree *wink* Once the scuttle is bolted down it is tight. The dash chassis tube plus the scuttle vertical holds it wedged. There is still room with the U for the scuttle to move when loose so if hit I expect it would to.

I am building a new scuttle at the moment (not in ally *wink*) and could go for a U but don't see the point yet.

Other views welcome, perhaps Adam is right *confused* 😬

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Richard, use a right angle and supply shakeproof washers to grip. If the holes in the right angle can have the correct size washers bonded to the top, the sides will not move and the holes through the carbon will not enlarge. (washers to be bonded on first fitting)

Remember that CF scuttle will be a lot less weighty that the ali item which is double folded in places.

Or, to put it another way. The CF fixing has only to hold fast up to very light impact. Any impact heavy enough to move the ali scuttle will make a sizeable dent in it.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

I would say the double returned edge (as we call it in the sheet metal trade *wink*) is there purely for stiffening purposes and helps avoid distortion when the screws holding it to the chassis are tightened down.

I wouldn't have thought you will have a need for this with CF Richard since that isn't a malleable material like aluminium.

I agree with Neil, it would look especially good on an SV *wink* More area to show off your fine products you see. *cool*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Agree with you Norman

Thanks re dash, Neil.

Brent, thanks for the technical correction!!!! 😬 I was really thinking in carbon terms, should I glue an angle to the lower edge or a U section 😬 So engrossed in my design I put it on for the ally version, well that is my excuss *wink* And yes I think you are correct so out with the adhesive and the angle, lets get this prototype finished. Jigging is my biggest problem now *confused*

SV version, come on chaps give me a chance 😬 but yes it would look great 😬