Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Caterham Silencer box design?????????

Rob Walker

Hi,

I have an SLR silencer box on my car that has become too noisy. The plan was to cut off the outer skin and make the box repackable by installing a nice aluminium outer sleeve in place of the stainless steel sleeve. I cut off the old sleeve using metal cutting discs in my angle grinder, no problem. When opened up I was surprised at the construction of the box and hence my query. The outer skin was made up of two layers of 2mm thick rolled stainless steel sheet spot welded together. The ends of the box were of a double skin design with a 10mm gap between and the box was filled with rolled stainless steel wire wool. Now I am puzzled why Cheesmans who make the exhaust systems for caterham went to all that trouble constructing the box in this way? it would seem they wanted to make it as heavy as possible. Why double up on materials and why have an 10mm void between the double skin on the ends of the box.

BTW the box had abviously become noisy due to the build up of carbon within the stainless wool in the silencer as non of this packing had burnt away or deterorated. The carbon had reduced the sound absorption properties of the ss wool.

Rob.

maybe they dd it for strength although 2mm is hugely thick for an exhaust. My powerspeed one is nowhere near that thick. Did the cheesman one have the perforated tube down the middle ?

Roy

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

DVA 1.8K R345

Roy.

Yes there is a perforated tube roughly central, the offset being to increase ground clearance allow the silencer box to run parrallel with the side of the car.

It is a massively strong construction and certainly made with durability in mind. The removal/replacement of the outerskin has reduced the overall weight of the silencer by 3KG. *thumbup*

Rob

"The carbon had reduced the sound absorption properties of the ss wool".

Rob, this sounds a little strange *confused*...how do you come to this conclusion? I can't quite get my head around the construction from your description , but could it be possible that fouling of the stainless wool with carbon is forcing the gases (and the noise) to bypass the wool and travel straight along the centre perforated tube?

Paul

Paul,

You got it . The carbon build up is preventing the sound waves from penitrating the s steel wool and passing straight out of the perforated tube and tailpipe. It would be an interesting experiment to see if its possible to wash out and restore an old noisy silencer using solvents or even hot water.

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 11 Oct 2006 14:28:23

You won't be able to solubilise the carbon with any solvent, but you might well be able to displace it with a water jet if it's physically possible to direct the jet at the fouled wire wool.

My VX silencer is suffering from the same condition ☹️ and I was considering the practicality of having it butchered and rebuilt as a repackable, but I'd convinced myself it must have lost all the packing, but it doesn't seem to be the case from what you've found.

Paul

Paul

If its of the same construction I would say its almost indestructable. I would remove the outer skin to be replaced with one made from ali or titanium. It should be possible to carefully unravel the s steel wool wrapped around the perforated center tube. If this was then held out flat on a board with nails it should be possible to powerwash the carbon out and blast with compressed air/ allow to dry and re-wrap . I have reused a small amount of the s steel wool around the perforated tube the remainder of the box I have filled with e-glass wool. I have not noise tested the box yet but it sounds quiet.

Rob

Rob i have cut up a couple of OE exhausts and they have been double skinned but not 2mm thick, probably 1mm twice, your exhause must weigh a ton *eek*, the double ends give the pipe support, like holding a tube with two hands is stronger than with one, when i made my exhaust i did this also to provide strength.

kevin R

black-ali HPC

The double skinned ends are to absorb sound, I would have thought.

Double skinned outer skin, I don't know.

Speaking as a chemist, oily carbon residues will generally *suspend* (note I don't say dissolve) in a 5% solution of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda). The stuff costs nothing so it's worth a shot.

Finally, £32 a kilo wire wool? What is it, gold plated? DIY wire wool of all grades/gauges is in French DIY shops for pennies. It's spun steel for Christ's sake, how expensive can it be?