Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cooling Fan - What's the highest temperature I can set it to cut in?

Mike C.

My Superlight (R300 spec) has the Caterham C/F Airbox and Triple Pass (R500) Rad, with the cooling fan mounted at the front.

I've mentioned before that the fan, in this location, is quite noisy. But it can't be fitted elsewhere.

At the moment the fan cuts in at 85 degrees, which seems a bit low. What would be the highest temperature I could safely set the fan to cut in?

(Temp is set on the ECU).

Mad Manx

In with both feet.

I thought the thermostat in a cooling system was intended to stabilise coolant temperature, and that K series in particular have a reputation with HGF. If you set a fan temp significantly above this set temp I would think you are more likley to get HGF.

Malcolm

• Support Team

Standard K series setup is to have the fan come on at around 96 degrees and off again at 92 ish (I can't remember the exact figures). I have mine set the same albeit controlled by the Emerald and I'm using an 82 degree stat.

I guess if you have the R500 stat (74 degrees ?) then your setting should be OK but if you are using an 82 degree stat then it is way too low as the fan will be coming on not long after the stat has opened.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

IIRC the temp switch for the fan is mounted in the rad itself. So setting a lower temp than the thermostat isn't a prob because the water in the rad won't be warm until the thermostat has opened.

But to answer the question, I would have thought 85 deg is quite high enough. Do you know why the fan is noisy/ is there anything to be done about it?

Martin

Aero'd Roadsports B with a garage slowly filling up with upgrade parts

Martin

The system I have is the same as the R500 - a Caterham c/f airbox and triple pass rad. The ducting for the airbox prevents the fan from being located behind the rad, where the noise would be subdued. It is therefore mounted in front of the rad, behind the grille, and it is quite noisy (sounds like a Dyson vacuum cleaner). Apparently, it's quite normal with this set up.

'Ruff Seven' suggested a smaller, quieter fan made by a company called Cyclone, but I haven't located a uk source yet.

However, as the cooling system is now so efficient, I thought it might be possible to raise the operating temperatures. Hence the question.

Mad Manx

According to Minister engines the coolant shouldbe 75deg +/- 5deg here

Think of a number. Any number.

If you have any concerns about a K-series being a bit hot, just drive it gently until the airflow brings the temperature down. Asking a fan to keep temps very low asks a lot of your alternator... besides making an awful racket.

Perhaps I am getting confused here.

The thermostat in a cooling system attempts to maintain a reasonable stable coolant temperature, once it starts to open.

The temperature rating for a thermostat is usually the temperature at which it is fully open.

Under normal operting conditions I would expect your coolant temperature to be no greater than this "fully open" temperature.- Surely if its above this you have a cooling system that is not properly controlled. eg you may have a radiator with insufficient performance for the ambient conditions and the heat generated by your engine.- or possibly your radiator fins are blocked and no doubt many others.

If you set the fan switching temp a few degrees above the Thermostat fully open temperature, it should only switch on when there is insufficient cool air flow for the thermal load, such as sitting in traffic.

If you set it significantly above the fully open temperature you are allowing the engine temperature cycle to be greater under these conditionswhich I would think more likely to cause HGF. I think its preferable to have an alternator working more frequently than to encourage HGF.

Malcolm

Malcolm. Still with you on this one... *thumbup*

I don't have an adjustable fan switch (well, I have a manual override...) - I have both the R500 stat and switch. The stat is rated for 74 degC (mine opens fully a little below that) and the fan switch triggers at an indicated 81ish. That's a fairly reasonable range IMHO and fairly close to what Minister recommend.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

The thermostat is rated at its "opening temperature". The standard K-series thermostat starts opening at 88 degrees. It is only the rubbish Caterham gauges that leave us thinking it is running the car at ~80 degrees.

If you attempt to run the coolant at lower than sensible temperature, you are ultimately doomed to failure. Heat dissipation relies on a heat differential compared to ambient temperature. If there is a reduced heat differential, there is a reduced ability to dissipate heat. Once the lower spec thermostat is fully open, the temperature will climb to the same equilibrium temperature anyway.

The scenario we often witness is the cooling system modifier expressing concern at the uncontrolled temperatures and attempting to fit an even lower thermostat...

It is a bit like this

... "but heat kills!" yelled Councillor Prescott