Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight R

Sandy

Just brought one yesterday (factory built and completely standard) and wondered if anyone could advise;

What is the capacity of the fuel tank?

What is the oil capacity (Its dry sumped)?

How much oil will take the dipstick tell tale from min to max?

Should the oil level be checked immediately after switching the engine off?

What RPM should the car idle at?

Thanks in advance *thumbup*

Sandy

• Support Team

Fuel tank is something over 30 litres - can't remember exactly.

If it's the Caterham dry sump system with the tank in the bellhousing then oil capacity is about 4.5 litres.

Not sure what the difference between min and max is but it's not massive - maybe 1/2 litre?

Yes the oil should be checked immediately after switching off.

Take a look in 7FAQ - more specifically here - for more details.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Cheers guys,

What about idle RPM, mine is about 1350rpm is this about right?

Driving back yesterday over the Welsh mountains on ACB10's was a challenge, especially when Gareths car let go of its oil! My screen got sprayed so I couldnt see and the steering went VERY light as I hit the sheen of oil on the road.

No other harm done though apart from 3 hours in the mountains waiting for recovery *thumbdown*

Sandy

Stu,

Plate is on it for now but J will change it over when he gets a buyer.

Danny,

ACB10s were certainly 'lively' but luckily I had been in a car with them prior to driving yesterday - Otherwise I would have been convinced there was something wrong with the car!

Will get them swapped over for some R888s ASAP

I plan selling the 2 nearly new fronts and 2 rears on the markers. Wot would be a reasonable price to ask?

Sandy

Sandy,

Having bought an SLR three weeks ago I have already looked into some of your questions.

The handbook states:

SLR (dry sump) - 6 litres.

Difference on dipstick between min & max - 1/2 a litre.

The engine oil should be at 80 deg's and checked within a minute of stopping the engine. If it is not checked within this time it will give a false reading as oil may have drained back into the engine. If the oil is not checked within a minute, the engine should be restarted and the procedure started again. If you overfill with oil, the excess oil should vent into the oil catch tank so as to find it's level.

Simon Lambert (Caterham After Sales Manager) advised me that it is not unusual for an SLR to use 1 litre of oil per 1,000 miles, so it is important to check the oil level regularly, albeit we all do that as a matter of habit anyway don't we !

Stuart

Kawasaki Green & Carbon SLR No 69 *cool*

The ACB10s do not *necesarily* grip until the canvas. Was at Combe this weekend, and after having the Avon truck change mine (due to lack of grip - despite being a way off the wear bars), they said the tyres were knackered and would not 'come back to life'. Just because the tyre has tread, do not assume it still has grip. If you want to be certain of grip, you need fresh tyres. Buying 2nd hand tyres is false economy. If you are doing trackdays, maybe OK, but for racing you're best to stump up.

Nobody was suggesting racing on knackered old rubber - I said "track day", but worn ACB10s are still grippy *relatively* and always progressive. I have used many part worns for airfield mayhem and they all seem pretty consistent.