Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox Removal

STEVE GILBERT

I want to change the 5 speed box on my 95 Chassis car. Can I do it without removing the Engine and is there anything else to particularly look out for? Car has a Zetec engine although all the mountings for the box are std as is the prop. Any advice welcome.

All.Knowing1@talk21.com

Think you'll have to take engine & box out as a unit. Whilst it is possible to take the engine out on its own, gearbox out on its own is not possible, I don't even think it is possible to drop it out underneath, even if you have a lift or a pit.

Allen

Take the engine and box out together. I've just removed mine to get the engine rebuilt and its a days work max. You can then put the lot back in as a unit. Remember to use a trolley jack under the gearbox when putting it back in as you will find it far easier to locate the drive shaft onto the splines. I recommend you do it with the help of another as you have 2 pairs of eyes and hands- a bit more tricky on your own

Taking the engine and box out together, splitting them, changing the box and putting everything back together and back in the car took me 5.5 hours yesterday on a VX inj. car I was not familier with. Its not hard.

With the Zetec you should be OK without the removable diagnols, but if you have them, remove them!

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>