Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/T Laptop spec

metal mickey

I am considering buying a laptop. I will be using it to view,in fine detail, photographs as I work for reference. I will need to zoom in and move around the images easily. It also needs to be internet capable and have a relatively large screen - portabiltiy is not a priority. What would you reccommend 🤔 I've been looking at Dell latitudes but am undecided on spec - are the truelife screens worth the extra 🤔Should I spec a 9 cell battery and how fast a proccessor and how large a memory will I need 🤔Is the 3 yr warranty any good 🤔

Thanks *thumbup*

• Support Team

I type this on a Dell Inspiron 9300 with 17" Truelife panel, 1Gb RAM and Centrino processor. Its about a year old, but works a treat. Its my third Dell, and I use it every day.

In my day job I buy a lot of Dell and find them to be a good blend of spec, price and after sales support.

Definately go for the 3 year 'Gold' warranty, as the wires on the power supplies get b*ggered after about 18 months of constant packing and unpacking. Also the battery on most laptops only last a couple of years...

Watch Dell's hidden charges - they can charge upto £50 for delivery *thumbdown*

Keep an eye out for special offers in the press...

It sounds like you need something with a bit of grunt, TBH either a PC or Mac will do. My personal preference would be a PC, a Dell Latitude laptop would do, it's worth at something a bit higher up the range so a D620 would do as it has a much better graphics card. 1GB at least is good but more if you can afford it and then I guess a Core Duo chip at at least 1.8Ghz (the top at the moment is a 2.13Ghz).

It's not going to be a £500 laptop but it's worth spending the extra, warranty wise the 3 year warranty is worthwhile as it just provides some peace of mind.

Drop me a mail offline if need a price as well sell quite a bit of dell kit

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com