Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Pedal Pals

prangerman

OK - I admit it. I am a short*rse. (I'm the only one who thinks the 7 is a spacious car! *wink*)

My driving seat is fully forward and the pedals are (I think) in their closest position to the seat. I can therefore reach the pedals and importantly plant my braking foot all the way down!

However the result is that my left elbow rests on the handbrake which is both uncomfortable and awkward when I need to use it in slow moving uphill traffic etc. I am also closer to the screen than is ideal, similarly the steering wheel.

I should therefore like to get to a driving position with the seat further back on the rails, and the only solution I can think of is to add Pedal Pals to the the pedals. Does anyone know whether they are compatible with the restricted room in a 7's peadl area, especially the accelerator ?

In Memoriam DMG

Having googled pedal pals and looked at the diagrams I'm not sure the accelerator one would work with the std. CC pedal as the bottom of th4e pedal is made from a short piece of tubing. I guess it would be a try it and see approach if no one else has been there before.

Could you get them on a trial basis perhaps?

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

😬 I'll give you a tip. Rather than disappear into the footwell upside down with your feet in the air, remove the bonnet and then the 8 screws that hole the pedal box cover in place. Remove the PBC and life's much easier 😬

Steve.

• Leadership Team

Here's an image of the pivot points in the pedal box: here

Is it not possible to add an additional locating point further forward - maybe 25mm or so? The master cylinder can be spaced out (it's only bolted on) and the other 2 are on cables which could probably be modded? It may be a more satisfactory solution to move the whole assembly than to mess about with extensions *confused*

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 6 Oct 2006 11:25:58

Thanks all.

As a first step I will check that the pedal box is indeed as far forward as it can be. CC said they had done it when I bought the car. I have also asked Roland Kerr for the Pedal Pals brochure, and I will take it from there, but keep the helpful suggestions coming in...

In Memoriam DMG

I'm not sure you would be able to bend the brake & clutch pedals in the direction required without significantly weakening them. Accelerator, probably yes and that's not such an issue if it were to break in use.

Steve.

Stu

It shouldn't be necessary to move the pivot point by 25mm as the pedals move by more than the pivot point moves due to the length of pedal below the pivot point being much greater than that above.

You need to be careful that to keep the geometry correct as well otherwise the cables and brake reservoir are put under strain.

Steve

I'm pleased to be able to report that actually, whether CC admit it or not, they do have an answer. Much better than pedal extensions, which my daughter has to use on her tintop BTW. These pedals are available for the CSR, so it cannot be impossible to have a set made up for the rest of the range, assuming that CSR pedals are different, which they may not be. Essentially they are like race car pedals, with the footpad welded to a screwed length of rod, and a tapped section welded onto the bottom of the pedal itself, just screw out the pad, and locknut into the desired position, works for all 3 pedals. Give them a ring and see what they say, if they deny it, PM me and I'll take some photos of mine for you to show them.

Ask Mark Grinnall how much he wants for a pedal setup from the Scorpion.

It's fully ajustable, and it's the best bit of design I've seen on any limited production car.

It can be moved through about 6", by pushing a lever just behind the baseplate, this is easily reached from either inside the car, or from the side. All three pedals move together, on a subframe, on two sliders. On the Scorp there is a clutch foot rest, which moves with the padals, though this wouldn't be useable on the Caterham due to lack of space.

I should think it should be possible to fit in a Caterham without too much difficulty.

I wonder why CC haven't tried this solution? *tongue*

SeaView!!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 6 Oct 2006 21:54:52

As one short 🙆🏻 to another, my pedals (brake and clutch, I "re-aligned" 😬 the throttle pedal) have been made with extra rearward sweep of the arm so they are about 2" further rearward than the original set-up.

I have an older car, so none of this fancy adjustable pedals and seats nonsense, these have allowed me to find a really comfortable driving position, perhaps a bit snug, but that's due to the girth.

Now you're possibly going to ask where these came from, well I can't remember where they were made as I bought them secondhand.

Possibly whoever makes the pedals? Arch *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* might be worth a try, very helpful people there, and could probably knock up some pedals in a few minutes.

Hope some of this has been of assistance.

Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.