Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Conditioners

prangerman

Hmmmm

"Ctek is nice I bought the one at about £42 from Hamilton Classics which is 'intelligent'."

and then

"Beware though even with this supposedly powering on and off using it's brain, the acid still produced vapour which pooled on my battery tray, and ran down into my footwell casuing horrid damage on the ali"

Doesn't sound nice to me, it shouldn't do that, I would have demanded my money back

Supercheese R250

Caterham pictures here 😬

Has anyone tried the Banner Accugard (like Optimate) that is advertised on eBay ?

It is being sold at £14.99 + £6.00 p&p but I don't know how this price compares with Optimate or others ?

It states as follows:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

At last a battery charger is available that will intelligently charge and maintain all car lead acid batteries. The ACCUGARD battery charger is the answer to keeping a 12 volt battery in tip-top condition whenever the battery is not used.

Basic battery chargers simply apply an uncontrolled current/voltage that restores charge to the battery. However, they cannot charge a battery accurately to full charge may only partially charge a battery and can most certainly overcharge which may result in gassing and loss of water. Consistently under or over charging a lead acid battery will reduce its lifespan. Older cars have charging systems that are not optimised for modern hybrid batteries so may not provide full charge.

ACCUGARD is an advanced fully automatic battery charger and maintainer for all 12V lead acid batteries, including conventional, hybrid and fully sealed starter batteries, GEL type and deep cycle and leisure batteries.

Constant Current Charging or Bulk Charge Mode. Assuming the battery is starting in a discharged state, the charger is operating in constant current mode, where the charger current is maintained at a constant value of 0.9 Amps and the battery voltage is allowed to rise as it is being recharged. Approximately 80% of battery capacity is returned in the constant current region.

Constant Voltage - Absorption Mode When the battery voltage reaches 14.3 Volts (just below the point where gassing will start), ACCUGARD switches mode to hold the voltage constant at this level whilst the battery current is allowed to reduce. It is this region where the last 20% of battery capacity is returned. This voltage level is maintained until the battery current reduces to 200mA.

Constant Voltage - Float Mode. At the point where the current is reduced to 200mA, ACCUGARD enters float mode. In float mode the voltage on the battery is maintained at 13.5 Volts. This voltage will maintain the full charge condition in the battery without gassing the electrolyte or overcharging the battery. If the charger detects a current drain greater than 200mA during this float phase then the full charge cycle is restarted. ACCUGARD can therefore be left permanently connected to the battery of the car and will keep it fully and correctly charged even if you have accessories such as clocks and alarms systems connected to the car. will also charge and maintain unconnected batteries.

ACCUGARD is supplied complete with ring terminal lead set for smaller batteries, crocodile lead set for conventional car batteries and fitted with UK mains plug. 220-240 Volts only.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stuart

Kawasaki Green & Carbon SLR No 69 *cool*

I have a Banner Accuguard, have used it for the best part of a year with no complaints. As I understand it is a proper conditioner, not a trikle charger.

I paid about £35 for mine when I picked up a new Banner Bat, so at £21 delivered I would snap it up.

If you have any tech queries I suggest emailing the guy at Banner, he was very helpful when trying to source a new battery.

Cheers

*idea*alternatively you could drive the car to charge your battery this has a number of benefits

1) It'll make you smile, none of the other products do this unless you clamp the terminals to your face and power up *tongue*

2) It'll keep your battery in tip top condition for about a £1 (although this is somewhat unrealistic as you will find that you keep driving *thumbup*

3) If you have to take out the car in the wet the resulting cleaning and polishing will keep you fit enough to reward yourself with a nice glass of Claret/Beer *thumbup* *thumbup* also away from er indoors *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

P.S I use a Ctek for various vehicles at various times of the year and it's fab but then i would never buy Draper as its cheap tat for commoners 😬