Click here if you are having website access problems ×

question for the K people.

Gambo

I am thinking of adding an elise sport 160 to the gambo stable. Seen one and I'm having a go tomorrow. when I looked at it the other day, I noticed the engine was very lumpy on idle. So my question is , What is the spec of k that is fitted to this car. I have heard very few actualy produce the 160 bhp quoted, so what do I do to it to a; get it to run more smothly b, get 160 (if possible) without changing much.?

Am i looking at verniers and emerauld or more?

Cheers in advance for advice. *thumbup*

RED 2.0 HPC 230BHP *thumbup* *smile*

The 160 has a lightly ported head, uprated (a bit too hot for a plenum) cams, a VVC plenum and either Gems or EFI management. The cams are inevitably badly timed and the management doesnt do a very good job since it takes it load information from manifold vacuum which is pretty poor given the cams used. The bottom end is completely stock.

There is plenty you can do about this. This is not intended as advertising but I do a couple of kits for the 160, one cures the rough running and improves mid range torque by retiming the cams and fitting an Emerald ECU with suitable map. The other does this together with throttle bodies.

Oily

I drove a friends elise sport 160 a few years back and tbh found it to be a bit odd. it needed loads of revs to do anything and if you got caught "off the boil" just about anything would leave you behind.

This probably ties in with the above comments, at least it sounds like it's fixable. another friends 135 elise was all round a much nicer car 90% of the time purely because of the friendly power delivery.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Lotus has a kit that contains a different exhaust cam pulley, a VVC 160 throttle body and a reflash of the EFI ecu. This gives a much better idle, starting and will help at MOT time. This is for the later WVTA cars ony and does not aply to the SVA ones, the emerald is then the only option.

If you already have a vernier on the exhaust and large throttle as most of them have by now then the reflash is a cheaper option than an emerald.

Mail me offline if you want to discuss further.

They came with a standard 'long ratio' box but again a lot have had the shorter one fitted. The good thing is that all S2 Elise have the short box and they are easier to find in breakers than VVC S1 which is the only other volume production Elise with it fitted.

Simon

Edited by - Simon Hayward on 4 Oct 2006 08:37:06

They may not be optimum but the kit gives a good result for a lower cost. The whole lot would come in at less cost than an Emerald on its own as far as I can remember.

If someone wants to tinker with the car afterwards then its not the best for that I admit but it is worth considering if you arent going for every last horsepower.