Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HELP...car wont start

yellow

My first post to the tech talk forum and I'm asking for help. I have a '99 1800 K series, went to bring it out of hibernation, armed with new tax disc etc. but wont start. Engine turns over, but I havnt heard the distinctive whirr and tick from the fuel pump. As the car has stood for 4 months could this be fuel pump failure? Is it likely to be ECU as the battery was previously disconnected? Is there anybody who has had a similar experience who can help or can any of the resident technical experts offer a clue. All help gratefully recieved.

Tom

Does the immobiliser need resetting after battery reconnection? (perhaps only if immobilised at disconnection?)

ISTR that the procedure involved pressing the 'undo' button four times.

Otherwise first check all the fuses and perhaps reseat the big connectors into the black box under the ECU. FWIW I think the pump is unlikely to have failed.

And I'm sure there'll be an expert along shortly....

Paul

What sort of immobiliser do you have? And does the light go out as you'd expect? The reset for some of the immobs is to fully depress the accelerator 5 times (search the forum as there have been better explanations than this).

Once you've checked the fuses and inertia switch, have a look at the fuel pump connection at the back (you have to get under the rear of the car and it'll be somewhere on the front face of the fuel tank or so). Make sure it's sound.

Also, check that all the plug leads etc are firmly in place at both ends.