Click here if you are having website access problems ×

changing oil / accusump

Ade Ray

Hello All

I am contemplating my first oil change for 'Katie the 1600 Xflow'. The only thing I am not sure about is that Katie is fitted with an accusump where right now I would prefer to see a heater.

The question is am I going to have any issues getting the oil out of the accusump or will it naturally drain out as the rest of the oil drains out of the engine? Any comments greatfully received.

Also...Is Caterham the place to go for replacement brake pads or can I get them from regular retailers etc? I dont want any fancy greenstuff pads, just the regular sort (whatever they may be).

Many Thanks

Ade teeth.gif

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

The accusump is a tube with a sprung piston.

I guess you have a valve on it to close the thing off and retain the oil so that the wet sump does not overfill after switch off.

This valve can be auto = electric or manual.

If you open the valve as you drain the pressure of the spring on the plunger will empty the oil out.

I would think that the elec valve has a manual overide.

If you need more tech support i.e. filling procedure call Think Automotive you will find them on the web.

Ade Ray.

Dump the A/sump & get the heater. Mick Smith had an Accusump as a cheaper alternative to a dry sump with the hope that if there was a loss of oil pressure then it could help. It didn't & he ran a bearing anyway!

One of those 'Good-idea-on-paper' type devices.