Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A048's v A021's

scooter

Hello *smile*

Has anyone tried BOTH of these Yoko's on their Se7en's and can offer a comparison?

I had the 48's on my Exige and loved them (pretty decent in the wet as well) - doesn't mean they're any cop on a Se7en though I suppose.

Opinions valued.

Cheers

Scooter

All IMO - if you liked them on your Exige then stick with them, although it depends a little on when/where you drive the 7 - if you are likely to drive a lot on the road in the wet then maybe 21's might be better, as they are better at clearing the standing water.

We use 48's all year round and accept their limitations when wehave to - IMO they are pretty good in the wet as well as being fantastic in the dry.

The 48's (medium) are as good as the same rubber compound as the 21's.

21's have a deeper tread to start off with so will last longer, in theory.

If you will mainly stick to the dry, then 48's for sure - 21's will overheat on a dry track day.

You will get different answers as tyres, and their 'feel' are so subjective. We have used both, and I was impressed with the 21's in the wet, but overall prefer the flexability of the 48's for road and track (not being trailer trash just yet!)

Best place to get them from? George Polley or the place in High Wycombe - someone will have the name. You shouldn't find them any cheaper anywhere else!

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

96,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Cheers. I'm just hoping to tap-into some of the knowledge out there in the hope that it might save me a buck or two by not having to 'experiment'. My car will not be used much in the rain - there's a big German box-on-wheels sitting in the driveway that I use in the wet.

PS - I see you beat me to the ACB10's... was just about to hit the 'Buy It Now' button, then it dissappeared. If you're not fast your last I suppose!

*smile* - yep, just expanding my knowledge base!

Go for 48's then - although another option would be CR500's - plenty of fans on here, though I have never used them - they are more expensive.

Depending on wheel size, you will pay ABOUT £280 for a set of 48's from Polley - ISTR CR500's are about 30% more?

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

96,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

I have used all of the above, and to be honest, prefer the CR500's.

The car is not as skittish as with the 48's.

Yes they are more expensive, but not a great deal. They also last longer than 48's.

Sayingthat, I have a set of 48's for track use *thumbup*

If you are using them mainly on road, either will do, but do a search in TechTalk and you will see people have similar problems with the stiff sidewalls of the A048's.

Me, I prefer the CR500.

Only dead fish go with the flow....

• Support Team

I started with 21s, replaced with another set then moved to 48s and now run CR500s. Here are my thoughts:

21s are a great road tyre - IMHO you don't need anything better on the road. They are good wet or dry although as with all tyres on a Seven you need to be a bit careful in cold wet conditions. On track they are great in the wet but will rapidly overheat on a hot dry track which reduces their grip and they wear very quickly in those conditions.

48s on the road provide lots of grip (as long as it isn't cold and wet) they are fine in the wet although they can aquaplane more easily than 21s. The downside is that they tramline a lot and on a bumpy B road can be a real handful to the point where I added a bit of toe in to try and tame them. On track they are great - loads of grip once warm and acceptable in the wet. They seem to last longer on track than 21s.

CR500s are the ultimate 7 road tyre as far as I am concerned. They are a lot lighter than the Yokos, they provide good grip wet or dry and they don't tramline. I have got good wear from them as well (with 227bhp!). On track they are close to 48s (for my skill level) and don't suffer too badly when it's hot and dry - again they are fine in the wet.

This is only my experience but it would seem to generally tie up with most of the opinions I have seen and heard.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 3 Oct 2006 08:59:50

Scooter

Check on the Jock7s forum... IIRC Jim found a supplier/fitter in Edinburgh for 48s last winter, and they worked-out cheaper than Polley after considering shipping and then local fitting.

Jason

Edited to add:

Auto Image in Dalry - see thread here *thumbup*

Edited by - jason liddell on 3 Oct 2006 10:31:57

I'll face the same choice in the spring. Having read many of the previous threads *wink* on the same subject I'd narrowed it down to a choice between the A021 and CR500 for road use only.

However IIRC the CR500 isn't available for 14" rims. I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm this; even better if I'm proved wrong.

MacBreadhead,

from my experience, A021's last longer road use than A048's, but it all depends on how much abuse they will get on track.

I got about 4,000 miles out of the rear 185/60/13 A048's with only 133BHP.

Some people on here have managed less.

Only dead fish go with the flow....

Ran A021Rs for several years, but switched to A048Rs (Soft fronts/Medium rears) last year. The A048Rs are a huge improvement IMO both in the dry and (mildly) wet. The 48s seem to break away much more progressively and the overall grip level is significantly increased. Turn-in is now improved beyond all recognition, but without compromising the balance of the car through the remainder of the corner. The 48s have managed to survive 4 trackdays with a surprising acceptable wear rate.

*thumbup* for the 48s on both road and track for me, but I guess I still need to try a set of CR500s...

Ian 😬 1.6K SS Superlight #006

Penn Sevens Here

Edited by - IanJ on 3 Oct 2006 18:13:31

Both grip well, I found 48's lasted 4 times as long - about 3000miles and 2 track days on 48's on a 125bhp CAR. 720miles and no track days on 21's. with a 160BHP car *eek*.

21's are better on wet roads though - IMO, more progressive breakaway.

Never tried cr500's