Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Guide to porting k series?

Red SLR

Has anyone seen such a thing?

Looking to do a basic port on a k series I have acquired.

If not, anyone like to suggest what tools I need?

I know its a skilled job, but everyone has to start somewhere right? *wink*

Cheers

Simon.

LeMans 2006 photos here

Simon, go read DVA web site and then do it!

Die grinder and burs make for an easy life but do make up a set of cut down valves to use a feeler gauges for the porting.

Depending on your location, I sure there is someone living near you who would be prepared to look over your shoulder.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Cheers, I read oilys site a few years back - just had another quick read. Some good ideas on there.

However, I am after a dummies guide really. I guess the answer is to wrap it up and send it down to dave...

Hm...

Will cost up the kit (of which I have none) and see what it pans out like.

*thumbup*

LeMans 2006 photos here

Quite often in the past I have ported just one cylinder as a guide for keen blatters to follow and replicate across the rest of the head, it saves money and is very satisfying to do so much of the work yourself, obviously it is best if you watch while it is being done. I have also given a few unofficial workshop for intersted parties.

Oily

Simon

bite Oily's hand off, he did the same for me 3/4 years ago and I did the rest, well I took my handy work to show off to Dave how good I was, only to have to trot back to my garage to finish the job properly. Point is Dave started me off and guided me through to the finish. Fantastic experiance and the head is still going strong - I'm an engineer by proffesion but no mechanic, it took me all winter to strip, fettle and rebuild the head, suppose I could have done it faster but I was in no rush and because of my lack of experiance did it very, very methodically - Dave's website and the Haynes manual will see you through.

Paul M

Another big *thumbup* for Oily's master class. If you’re going to port your head, take up Dave's offer to do a couple of ports for you so that you have a good reference point for shaping the remaining ones. I chose this option, and when I thought I’d finished I took the head back to Dave to get the valve seats re-cut. Again, he kindly gave the ports the final magic finishing touch.

When I took my car to Emerald to be set up on the rolling road, the modifications had made 15 bhp more than expected for the chosen spec (most of which I suspect was as a result of being shown exactly how to re-profile ports, valve throats and shrouded areas in the combustion chamber).

Regards

Neil