Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Why are Caterham rear lights so crap?

Unclefester

The CSR lights look like the ones I have except the surround is a different shape on mine and I think it's the other way up. The main reason I got them was because they are LED's not bulbs so quite a bit brighter than the standard ones, the weight saving was an added bonus.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 2 Oct 2006 20:00:14

Hey, Uncle how you doing? Good to hear from you. Temperature sensor was changed a couple of months ago along with the thermostat which I have now changed again and become adept at bleeding the bleedin' cooling system!

Anyhow, have had some great blats over the mountain passes - did four in one day a couple of weeks back.

Will have a fiddle with the fuel sensor time permitting.

Lastly, on the way back from the Swiss meet my son actually went to sleep in the passenge seat whilst on the way back - anyone else done that?

Cheers

Colin

re: the SVC rear LED lights:

Bearing in mind that they are very shallow, could you mount them directly to the wheel arch? It would have to be low, so that they are close to vertical?

OR:

How about painting the manky housing to match the wheel arch?

And lastly...

Do you mount the rear fog separately or keep the existing ugly fitting?

I would really like to get the three required units together and clean up the whole rear end, in a similar fashion to Norman's little triangle.

Colin, strange about the overheating, what engine is it? 1800?

Sounds like you've tackled the problem systematically enough......

Françoise goes to sleep in the passenger seat of anything, she's amazing....she dozed off in the Grinnall at unmentionable speed on the UK M5 motorway in the rain, mumbled something about "Mmmm...cozy'n'warm...." = "Mmmm...fais chaud......)then she was out like a dormouse. We were wearing the new lightweight Belstaff one piece spaceage oversuits and Buffs, didn't even have crash helmets. The Scorpions do have a heating system which works well....hot air from the rad!

She says she feels more comfy and secure in the 3 wheeler....strange woman, (but then, she's French! 😬)

I envy those mountain passes, we'll have to take you up on that Zurich visit.......how are your fellow gnomes BTW? *tongue*

SeaView!!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

You could "french " the rear light into the rear wing S3 style but this would mean that the rear wing mould needs to be modifyed and that is costing money. And as the SVA rules changed the last couple of years i don't think CC will be prepared to do it.

I had thought about this. On the famed Lotus Twincam SS (13 made) the oblong Britax lights were effectively frenched into the rear wings. This would be very simple to do though the wings would need repainting, but I may do it on our KPE Xflow which needs a total repaint.

I also fancy replicating the original Lotus Seven Twincam rear 'damier' badge, so I can pretend my fake TC is a real one.

It's a bit odd, as it's described as a Lotus Seven on the logbook, complete with fake chassis number LS3 instead of the correct CS3, but who am I to argue? It also has Lotus badges.

If it thinks it's a Lotus, I might as well add to the effect. So, frenched rear lights and the famous Lotus Twincam chequerboard badge is on the way.

SeaView!!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Fester, the Gnomes are thriving but winter is fast approaching so I expect them to hibernate soon. Maybe the 7 should too buts its great fun on a dry sunny day when its cold and clear and, yes, they do happen.

The engine is an 1800 K series and has driven me up the wall in the last couple of weeks but (fatal last words) I seemed to have cracked the problem now. I scoured the forums for ideas and found them very useful albeit there are some conflicting and un-clear words of advice. Not much on the dangers of large piles of cow dung - dodge 'em if you can.

I was thinking of suggesting that some of these well worn threads be cleaned up and put into the FAQ? Would be very helpful for newcomers I think.

Come over anytime - drop me a line or call.

Cheers

We currently have (or at least it was there earlier in the summer) Graham Nearn's personal Se7en on display at the Heritage Motor Centre in Gaydon (next door to the Jaguar / Land Rover / Aston Martin site).

His rear wings are a slightly different design to the current ones, and have the light cluster recessed into the wing which looks quite neat. Photo here. Wonder where the moulds are....

See some pictures of the build here. 10000 miles completed!

Rollbar, look at my site, there's a picture of the Hella rear lights on one of the 7 upgrade pages. I mounted them that way to "share" as many fixing as possible. 3 holes to each lamp. I also have triangles on the dash so it makes some sense.

Colin, Yes me - but I was driving at the time! Luckily my daughters boyfriend was passenger and he woke me up.

Never heard a scream like it.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Norm, What is this the Caravan fan Club. *eek* Less ugly than the lights they replaced IMHO. I could not buy a new 7 with those 60's caravan lights! (… waiting now for the onslaught from the 7 purists 😬)

LED lights are the way to go being totally sealed and reliable, *thumbup* (My CSR in question earlier in this thread)

Since the Swiss trip I have also fitted an LED reverse light and LED front indicators. OK I agree that the fake c/f mounting could be better. However I just wanted something safe and practical.

There is a wide range of LED lights and clusters available now - but some a little too pimp-ish! The SVC lights do the job perfectly being much more visible than the Caravan lights too.

(If anyone wants a complete pic let me know)

Darren Harrold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Martin, to be honest i cant remember, i fitted the lights years ago, perhaps there were only two fixing screws, the lights have to be fitted low to get a resonable angle though, a solution to this would be like the donkervoort fit lights on a moulding here another problem is to keep it sort of legal for MOT you need to add reflectors, the Hella lights on the same SVC page here can be made up to include an outer ring reflector but dont think these fit the mouldings they make, i plan to use the hella lights if i replace the rear wings which are getting rather tatty now.

kevin R

black-ali HPC

Edited by - k.russell on 18 Dec 2006 19:08:15