Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front suspension update

acbateman

Does anyone have any experience of updating their front suspension from trunnion to ball joint, and the cost involved? I am considering this from the safety point of view, finding oiling fiddly and hearing stories of trunnion failure (how common is that anyway?)

Hello,

I'm in the process of doing exactly this on my 1994 x/flow. I am also changing to the proper upper wishbone with camber adjustment and have changed the uprights (and the hubs to lightweight aluminium version)

To get rid of the trunion, I think that the minimum you need is the upper and lower wishbone and the upright. This is because of differences in the upper ball joint fitting between the proper upper wishbone and the original single arm type.

However, many on here are much more knowledgable about these things so we may get alternative views.

Drop me an email offline if you want more details on prices etc.

Peter

I haven't looked recently, but the last time I priced this up, with adj top wishbones and new uprights plus new bottom wishbones the cost came to around £500 - £600.

This I decided was not worth it. I have had trunnions for 11 years now, and no problems. It is possible to fit the newer top adj wishbones to a live axle (I have done it) and source the correct track rod ends (from a motor factor) that fit the original uprights.

I couldn't come up with any sound reason to change apart from the oiling issue, which takes about 10 mins every 6 months.

Should you be interested, I have a set of standard track wishbones and ARB for sale; see the "For Sale" section. You would still need Bilstein dampners (or canb yo keep the Spax?), uprights and possibly the springs. I think I know someone who might have a set of dampners.