Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

EXHAUST REMOVAL - BRUTE FORCE or TECHNIQUE?

VINTAGEAUSTIN

Silly question time *confused*

My car has a 4-2-1 system and I need to replace it with my spare catylist system for the MOT.

However, it does not want to budge from the downpipe end despite prolific use of a rubber mallett.

Does anyone have any tips for removal, as I am concerned that if I hit it any harder I may cause damage

The 4-2-1 system was already fitted when I bought the car

Glynn

Blatting for England in the Dordogne!! - Holidays at Chateau Marotte

try heating up the outer part of the sleeve, and then wriggling tapping hammmering etc for the heat you can use a hot air paint stripper, or a plumbers torch, or Oxy-acetylene torch do achieve the required result, I suggest having a fire extinguisher close by - Just in case

good luck 😬

Oh and when you re-assemble the exhaust remember to liberally apply 'Coppaslip' This will make removal much easier the next time *thumbup*

Heating will help if you can get a general heat source in - a camping gaz type blow torch will work on a light flame. If you have some 'good' (asbestos/thick leather) gloves you could idle the car for a wee while too

As above - frie ex at hand and a bucket of water just in case *thumbup*.

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off.

Groucho Marx

Updated photos here

Thanks again everyone - it is now off *thumbup*

Trouble now is that the catylist system does not align with the 4 downpipes *confused*

Nick, if you fancy coming over to assist with the big hammer, we would be pleased to see you both.

It is also the Cep Fete (mushrooms to those not in France) in the village tomorrow, so if you both want to make a day of it, give me a call or email

Cheers

Glynn

Glynn...I may come over for a simple blat/test of the newly reassembled SV, which I've just now got running with its new Watt linkage bolts.

If we do come over it'll be in 2 cars as we have a friend here, or I'll come on my own. I'd like to have a butchers at your EU2 engine anyway. 😬

Glad you got the zorst off!

Blackout!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Nick,

No problem, please bring your friends with you - if we are not at the house, we will be just down in the village square sampling the food and vino *thumbup*

As it may be busy, park at our house and wander down - we will have a bottle open ready 😬

Cheers

Glynn

I'm not sure about coppaslip, surely it will bake hard over time, or just burn away.

I suspect that it will be blown out over time - then again, we seem to disagree about the efficiacy of silicone too... *wink* I suspect it's because the gap I have to fill on my collector is larger than yours, missus... Bits of beer-can seem to help me though. *smile*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Copaslip, will prevent the 2 surfaces rusting which is the main cause of seized exhaust joints. It's always worked well for me *thumbup*, of course it's your exhaust, do what you think is best for you *eek*

Good luck either way *thumbup*

S47zz, Stainless Steel doesn't rust.

Coppa slip is grease based and will burn away over time. It may leave the copper element but the grease will burn. Silicone doesn't burn.

Myles. I don't disagree, only that I have used household stuff and it's worked as well as the expensive stuff.

Glynn, smear lots on the inside of the outer pipes. Don't worry about too much, just get the whole surface covered. Refit pipes, wipe excess from outside. Start engine, drive, warm up and give it a bit of full throttle. The excess on the inside will be blown out.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

N Verona UR wrong stainless steel doesn't rust provided air can get at it, but on exhaust joints where air is not present it rusts justs as badly as steel. 🙆🏻

Another one to watch out for:-

I once bought some of that expensive exhaust manifold wrap to try and keep my underbonnet temps down, well I succeeded in keeping the temps down only to have my expensive S/S manifold rust - 'oxidise to nothing within a year *eek*

I agree though that the household silicon is as good as the Branded expensive stuff.