Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Aeroscreen fixing?

I'll be doing this soon too, however I'd be looking for a method that enables the aeroscreen to be removed and the windscreen put back on without leaving holes/marks.

Was thinking of some form of evostick type glue that can be romoved without a trace by using thinners (guess this will only work on a bare ali car though)

Problem is to use a windscreen you will have holes for the side supports, wiper shafts and washer jet. The aeroscreen doesn't cover these, so to swap properly, two scuttles is the only answer.

It's not really a problem removing/replacing the scuttle the cost is the only stalling point!!

Andy Marks

VHPD7@aol.com

I have just fitted the R500 screen to my car which previously had a full screen fitted and can con firm that the aeroscreen covers the the wiper pillar holes, screen washers hole . I mounted the screen using two plates and 5mm nuts and bolts bolts through the wiper pillar holes and the two holes for the heated screen wires. I had to extend the the bottom return edge of the aeroscreen by about 10mm to align with the heated screen holes but apart from that no other mods were required. Its now possible to revert back to the full screen should I want to and there are no extra holes in my scuttle.

Rob

Is there a measurment for the "for/aft" positioning of the screen or do you just fit to suit scuttle curvature?

I'm going to pop rivet mine from beneath the scuttle onto a bed of black silicon adhesive. Have you driven it with the screen fitted yet? supposed to be a completely different experience!!

Andy Marks

VHPD7@aol.com

The R500 screen is fitted using four rivets and is also glued to the scuttle using black windscreen adhesive. Caterham supplied this for me and it does the job well, it's also holding my wings on.

You need to mask the scuttle on the front edge, apply and then smooth afterwards using soapy water.

Andy,

The positioning of the screen is determined by the profile of the screen and scuttle on the R500 screen this brings the front edge of the screen 70mm from the front edge of the scuttle. I would caution about putting gloop under the screen and pop riveting in place. Shure it will be fixed good and proper but you will never be able to get it off without wrecking the paint job. Why not use 4 X 5mm nuts and bolts with washers and then run a thin bead of clear Silicon along the leading edge when its fixed, this will keep the debris and water from finding its way under the screen and will ensure you can remove it if required. Tried the car today and enjoyed the experience, took me back to my early motor cycling days plus the car feels much more lively after dumping all that weight and having 230 BHP 162 lb ft of K under my right foot.

Bolting is easier than riveting the R500 screren on, particularly if you cut slots instead of drilling holes in the scuttle, so the scuttle slides onto the bolts.

Also, to improve the aerodynamics of the scuttle at high speed, fit some SVA radius strip along the lower return edge of the scuttle and it will steepen the screen angle a couple of degrees. This seems to be enough to change the wind deflection so it does not strike your forehead at 100mph+ speeds.

Be careful postioning the screen so you can get the centre mirror in place. The screen is not well cut to fit around the Racetech mirror an dckearence can be tight!

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Hmmm

I spoke to Caterham last week and they will have an aeroscreen that fits directly in the stanchion bolt holes for the windscreen apparently a two minute job to fix . sorry if I bring bad tidings and all but its quite a way through testing. Im not sure how much

Eax

Andy,

Thats 70mm from the edge nearest the screen not the flat face of the scuttle. As I posted earlier you have no choice in the position of the screen it will only fit correctly in one postion. When you offer up the screen you will understand.

Rob