Click here if you are having website access problems ×

problem bolting cycle wings..

James King

I am bolting my wings on tomorrow. they have previously been glued, so there is no mark to say where to drill the holes. obviously they have to go through the wing stay tube, but how far in? thought 65mm in from the edge of the wing looks about right, just onto the flat part of the wing. looking at some photos, some caterhams seem to have them closer together.. hmm maybe i'm obsessing over this one

oh, one other thing. do you have to put a rubber washer under the flat head of the bolt as it touches the painted surface, or can it go straight onto the wing?

At the other end, under the wing stay, i was going to use one of those shake proof washers ( the frilly ones)- anyone else use these? or better st stick with a regular one?

• 2 weeks later...

James,

It seems no-one has responded to you yet. If you haven't already done the job, here's some info. My wings are 210mm wide, and have bolts 90mm apart (in other words, 65mm from the edges). I'd recommend putting a rubber washer under each bolt and flat metal washer, then tightening until the rubber just begins to squeeze out under the metal washer. Underneath, I used nylocs rather than locking washers. I also applied copperslip liberally to ease removal later, plus a little rubber sleeve (fuel line works well) to keep road muck off the exposed threads. Hope this helps.

JV

• Support Team

james

I have been fitting my cycle wings on a new build over the jast couple of days. My layout is the same as john's. Caterham supply a thin self adhasive neoprene strip to stick onto the carrier bars to cushion the wing. I have also stuck large 25mm penny washers using silicone sealant to the underside of the GRP wing to help spread the load a bit more. I did consider sticking the wings rather than bolting them but after reading a few horror stories in these columns I decided to bolt.