Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CC 4-2-1 Exhausts for K Series

Bozz

Does anyone know whether there are different versions of the above?

I've seen pictures where the no 4 primary seems loop around before exitting the side skin and the lambda boss is on the top.

Also seen them where the no 4 primary seems to almost drop straight down and has the lambda boss on the rear of the vertical section.

My starter motor has the solenoid on top. Will this cause a problem with either version?

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here

you need the SLR 4-2-1 system as opposed to the R400 system .

The slr system uses the same body hole as your current system .

The primary #4 was modified in 2004 to allow greater clearance around the starter motor . Make sure you are sent this modded primary when you order *wink* the otehr 3 primaries remain the same.

here is C7 TOP

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Bozz - sorry, only just got your mail - as Dave says, this system should fit your car. I only had clearance issues when I replaced my starter with the newer race starter from Caterham that has the solenoid on the outer edge - although I managed to 'peen' the exhaust primary 4 so it missed the solenoid. I have since got the different (later) shaped primary.

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

96,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

I've got the older 4:2:1, the original starter will fit, as will the new Caterham/Brise starter, Simon Lambert checked for me when I was considering replacing my exhaust with the newer type, when my 4:2:1 collector's tabs broke.

He told me the newer 4:2:1 had all new primaries, so you just can't change No 4 if you wanted. In the end I stuck with what I already had, and bought a new collector, as I could still find a starter that fitted.

I've now had the original collector fixed, so I have a spare *thumbup*

This will be a new section on our website, but here are some pictures to show the issue with race starter and 'old' primaries.

New starter fitted here - note, wires not routed yet!

Picture showing how close the 4th primary is to the solenoid - the gap was smaller but I 'bashed' the pipe to increase the gap. here

Bashing here - done with lots of heat and a rounded hammer!

And another view here

I had no starting issues with regard to heat, but I now have a newer set of primaries that I bought from Mark Durrant, which have the later 'looped' 4th primary.

Bozz, if you would like to come and have a look, I have all the variants still here, so you can try our older SL primaries and see if they suit you (they are like the ones shown in the picture you sent me) - I don't think you are far away, we are near Egham.

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

96,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Edited by - angus&tessa on 29 Sep 2006 18:35:26