Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Failed oil pressure gauge R300

Cookie Monster

I fitted a new sender to my R300 about 6 months ago. Since then I've done very few road miles and 4 trackdays. It's now failed - same symptoms as last time - pressure gradually appears to get lower and lower, no response when you rev the engine, and then the needle starts "kicking".

Sadly this failure seems to be the norm for K series engines. It has to be said that the location is far from ideal being very close to the ground and likely to be peppered with stones etc from the front wheel especially on lefthand turns. However the failure rate is becoming unacceptable on my car. It is a 2003 SV 140bhp1.8 Xpower engine and I have done 24000 miles. My 3rd sender has just failed. The 1st one failed last year on the St Moritz run and the 2nd failed in May this year. The 3rd was fitted in early May and has just failed. Caterham have run out of them at present and are awaiting a new supply. All failures have been the same. Pressure drops and then the gauge gets the twitches. One moment reading normal then nothing. Not only is the present one spotless and undamaged by stones etc , but I have used a bottom of a cut off plastic bottle and a cable tie to form a cover to protect it so there is no excuse.

For the record I had a new rev counter and speedo under warranty, then the fuel guage(not the sender) failed, temperature sender and so far 3 oil pressure senders. My first Caterham 1.6 k series had 3 senders in 14000 miles. Neither car has ever been raced or on a track.

I wrote an Email to Caerbont Automotive yesterday telling them that I was disappointed with their senders. I have just had a reply from them that they are very concerned and are taking the matter up with Caterham...... Simon Lambert is aware of the problem Hopefully a better quality one will be produced as a standard item.... Can I suggest you also Email Simon Lambert at CC. They know it is in a very exposed position so why don't they make a plastic cover for it ??

Hugh ROBINSON Chelmsford.

I have a Caerbont OP gauge/sender in another car. When compared to a Think mechanical gauge it reads about half what it should. Bought a new sender & still the same so sent both gauge & sender back to Caerbont & asked them to calibrate it properly. They kept it for about a month & sent it back in the same state. I'd change to a different make but it would mean changing all the gauges & I can't yet find a supplier to supply the period look I want.

Incidentaly my 7 used to have VDO gauges, no problem with the senders or the gauges over 12 years although I did have to change the OP sender after 8 years. The second sender got a bit scored when I ran the car too low at a track day a few years ago but still worked OK until I changed to SPA this year.

simply fit a low pressure warning lamp on a remote hose from the filter - you cant drive and look at guages anyway no matter how accurate they are *tongue*.

Set the lamp to light at 1.5 bar and then you wont have to worry about how accurate the guage is or fit a mechanical one - if you have a problem the lamp will light bright in front of you *thumbup* you shut the engine off *thumbup*

If It aint yellow, wonky and wobbly................ 😬

I fitted caterham remote sender kit 3 years ago ( as used on the R400 erace cars ) its been fine . It moves the sender up to near the horn , out of the way .

Dave -

is this simply an hydraulic hose fitted between sender and filter housing? I've been considering such a solution after experiencing a second failure following a gravel trap visit!

If CC have an off the shelf part with correct fittings etc, then I think I'll be getting one!

Edited by - jason liddell on 3 Oct 2006 10:25:08