Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SVA

Mark Piper

I have checked the archives, but can’t find some answers to questions I have –

Do you have to have a windscreen, wipers and washers to pass, or will a full width deflector be OK?

Do you have to have a centre rear view mirror?

The general consensus also appears to be – if you’ve got an FIA bar (or any other type of cage that might restrict rear view), fit sidescreens with mirrors

Fit rubber trim round cycle wings, base of indicators and around reversing and rear fog lights…What about the rear wings? Any need to fit rubber trim round them as well? I also read that some of the suspension components also need various rubber bits and pieces wrapped around them.

What about the emissions? From what I can see, if it’s not a factory built car, regardless of age, you don’t need a cat and it only has to pass the visible smoke test….

And then I find some obscure stuff about scuttle angles, sharp edges and battery vent pipes….my current Caterham certainly doesn’t have a battery vent pipe, nor does it have padding around the fuse box…do I need to be worried about this?

Anything else I should know about? – I wonder whether it’s safer to wrap the whole bl**dy car in one giant piece of rubber trim!

Anything with a post 93 petrol engine needs a cat at SVA but apparently not for MOT if its amateur built (although I cant find where in the regs it says this). Even bike engines need cats if they're post 93.

Caterham supply piping for front wings and indicators. I got some more for rear fog/reverse lights. Rear wings dont need it as you cant touch the sharp edge with a ball of 100mm or so diameter. FIA bars pass SVA at Derby and Gillingham, iffy elsewhere.

There is more, but I've got to go for lunch.

BC

You do not need a full screen for sva but if you fit a screen it needs to be able to demist wipers wash etc.

Drivers side and centre mirror must be adjustable from the driving position.

If the field of vision is not made with this a third mirror is used on the passenger side.

If the roll bar stops you from passing on the above unbolt the roll bar for the retest.

Emissions You have to have a pre 1995 engine for 3.5 CO and 1200 HC no cat.

Post 1995 engines are cat and 0.5 CO and 200 HC this is a once only test for SVA that must be passed. MOT amateur built visible smoke only.

All edges must be blunter than 2.5mm radius that’s every thing bolts nuts plastic mouldings switches etc.

Paul going for SVA on Monday 4th

Paul.

my car failed first time, on the following, the door hinges did not have the studding, lock nuts and plastic nut caps and i did not have documentary evidence to prove how old the engine was. the door hinges could have been done there at the test station ( the tester actually supplied the required bits) the date of engine manufacture was supplied by the local dealer. My car is exempt from emmissions as the block was made in 1972, surely a record in a 2002 registered car. The tester at gillingham was v helpful and the test was not as daunting as i anticipated