Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Broken down(?) on A30 Basingstoke

Grubbster

The legitimately registered 7OO was indeed, errr, “resting” on the ring road. Specifically, it seems that the battery decided to stop supplying enough juice to satisfy the injectors, and that was that.

Murphy’s Law swung into action – it was the one day that my mobile and wallet (i.e. my lifeline to the RAC) were left at home. Ironically I had been working at The AA that day and hence legged it back across the dual carriageway back to Fanum House from whence I had driven. The AA has a classic Lotus race team run by volunteers based at Fanum House. They are successfully campaigning a superb Europa and Elan. Luckily I caught one of the guys loading up for the coming weekends racing at Spa. He is a fellow Caterham owner, and we were soon back at the scene. One jump start later, and oddly we saw that the battery was receiving a charge, so off I went.

Just before the top of the hill, on the bend at the end of the dual carriageway heading North out of Hartley Wintney is, as those of you who know the road will appreciate, not where one would choose to attempt a one-man bump start in reverse. However, having ground to a halt again, and faced with no alternative, this was nevertheless achieved, and enabled me to splutter around the corner and finally die on the little road which links the A30 with the A327. This is another appalling place to “rest”, with a high risk of being rear-ended, as it were. Rescue was triggered by a Good Samaritan in a Range Rover who stopped and lent her daughter’s mobile to me!

One jump start later, the RAC man determined that the battery was not receiving a charge at all. Arriving home in a breakdown truck had not been part of the day’s master plan, and my late arrival for babysitting duties was greeted by my good lady and a posse of neighbourhood wives waiting to commence their girls night out. Still, better that than being half way across the Alps en route to Monaco...

Anyone had experience of an alternator intermittently delivering a charge?